Painting Galvalume Roof Flashing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bill 700

Hearth Supporter
Jun 16, 2009
NC
What high temp paint works best to paint a Simpson Duravent roof flashing? A W Perkins 1200 degree Stove and Grill Paint? Rustoleum high temp spray paint?

And will it adhere to the high temp sealant that Duravent uses on the seams of the flashing?

I called Simpson Duravent, and could not get a real answer.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Wipe the flashing down with vinegar, it removes the grease and etches the surface a little. Then paint it with any paint you choose, it will not get hot enough to hurt the paint. We paint the pipe and flashings all the time using this method and stove-bright paint. We use stove paint only because we have a van full of it.. I even paint right over the silicone seal on the storm collar, it covers good with stove bright, I assume it would be fine with other paints too.

If roof flashing is getting above 125deg you have some pipe clearance problems, the real question is are you also going to paint the shiny class a pipe? that might have its issues with adhesion, I can imagine a vinegar bath 1st to rid any grease then a brillo pad to etch or scratch the metal so the paint could bond.

Wipe the flashing down with vinegar, it removes the grease and etches the surface a little. Then paint it with any paint you choose, it will not get hot enough to hurt the paint. We paint the pipe and flashings all the time using this method and stove-bright paint. We use stove paint only because we have a van full of it.. I even paint right over the silicone seal on the storm collar, it covers good with stove bright, I assume it would be fine with other paints too.

Webby thanks! Good to hear about your experience with this.

If roof flashing is getting above 125deg you have some pipe clearance problems, the real question is are you also going to paint the shiny class a pipe? that might have its issues with adhesion, I can imagine a vinegar bath 1st to rid any grease then a brillo pad to etch or scratch the metal so the paint could bond.

Will not be painting the ss double wall. (I'm in central NC, and that flashing will greatly exceed 125 deg every sunny day in the summer. Last week the aluminum roof ladder I had hooked over the ridge of the roof got so hot I could barely touch it.)

Will not be painting the ss double wall. (I'm in central NC, and that flashing will greatly exceed 125 deg every sunny day in the summer. Last week the aluminum roof ladder I had hooked over the ridge of the roof got so hot I could barely touch it.)
Yes, probably about 125. The hottest water out of most taps are too hot to hold your hand directly in the water. Which is 120 or so without being mixed with cold water.

Curious, why is it getting painted?

Curious, why is it getting painted?

To better match the metal roofing, and since its on the front of the house to hide the silicone factory sealant on the flashing which stands out from the galvalume finish.

To better match the metal roofing, and since its on the front of the house to hide the silicone factory sealant on the flashing which stands out from the galvalume finish.
The paint doesn't like to stick to the sealant on the metal roof flashing from excel, not sure about dura-vent.
On that note, I'd strongly suggest using a flashing that's specifically made for metal. Excel has the best one.
https://www.stoves-pipes.com/ICC-EXCEL-FLASHING-METAL-ROOF-1-12-7-12-6-I-D-p/icxf6emfa.htm