Parts needed for O.A.K on Castine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noah

Jul 31, 2007
Anchorage Alaska
The instruction book doesn't talk much about the out side air kit other than there is a kit available to purchase. Do I need this kit or can I get what I need at the hardware store?

Anyone with a Castine with the OAK that could post a picture maybe? I want it install the outside air but I'm not really sure what is required. Looks like maybe a 3" 90 degree elbow and some flex to a vent hole in the wall.
Thanks

I meant to get around to installing this and never got to it. There's a 3 or 4" hole in the back middle for attaching the OAK collar. Can you measure this hole and let me know what size it is? There are standard start collars that may fit here. If so, there's no need to buy the Jotul start collar unless it's easy to get and fairly cheap.

The air intake hole is 3" diameter. So there is a special collar that allows for the attachment of a flex or other vent pipe material? I don't really have a problem buying the Jotul kit, I just want to know what it is that I'm buying. If all I need is a collar, similar to the one I needed for the stove pipe then that's no big deal.

When I asked about it at the stove shop a few months ago they said I would never need it but after burning for the past few months and reading reports on the internet I think it would be beneficial. The air here is so dry during the winter that it would be nice to hold on to the little humidity that I do have. Since they were apprehensive about it I'm curious if they even keep any in stock for the off chance that a strange fellow like my self would go against their recommendation and want to buy one.

There is a special start collar from Jotul, but unless it's cheap, I would probably make my own. All it takes are some tin snips and a short piece of 3" pipe or a 3" elbow. Notch it on one end to make 1" tabs. Fold out every other tab 90 degrees to the fitting. Then insert the fitting into the hole on the stove until it hits the folded out tabs. Then fold the remaining straight tabs on the inside of the hole, outward so that they clinch the collar in place.

Here's a picture of standard, pre-notched start collars.

Attachments

• start_collar.jpg
    start_collar.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 185
I asked about an OAK for my stove because i wanted to see what it looked like - and they had to order it so i figured I would wait until I figured if i could just make one. So this helps me out a bit.

On another note, the stove shop asked me why I wanted one - do i have a very tight house?? I figured i may get that question. My real reason for wanting one is that with these newer stoves, you cannot shut the air intake all the way down. That means that if you do not operate the stove at times, you will either have warm air escaping the house and up that chimney or have cold air blowing down and into the house. Being that this stove is my second stove, it will not be run all the time and my concern is valid. He actually shrugged and said good point - let me know if you want it.

Last week I went to the Jotul dealer to ask about the OAK kit and they happened to have one. It was the lamest looking start collar I ever saw, and guess what, $34! After the salesmen and I had a good laugh about it I decided that wasn't the start collar for me and went next door to the HVAC place and bought one for $2, although all they had a a 4" one so I have to make it smaller. No big deal.

I also got a cheap dryer vent wall pass through which I will remove the flapper and replace it with a screen. Along with a piece of 3" flex and I should be good.

Of course the salesmen didn't understand why I needed such a thing. He also said that they have disconnected them in the past because of poor stove performance, I don't buy it.

Well heck. I got quoted $125 for the OAK for my Castine (PLUS an additional $125 for labor to install the OAK). I hadn't decided to do it yet because it seemed awfully pricy, altho it might be a code requirement in King County here even for an existing house - have to call the gov't folks & ask, been putting that off...

Been thinking about installing the darn thing myself, too. So thanks for posting this subject!!!

Noah said:
Last week I went to the Jotul dealer to ask about the OAK kit and they happened to have one. It was the lamest looking start collar I ever saw, and guess what, $34! After the salesmen and I had a good laugh about it I decided that wasn't the start collar for me and went next door to the HVAC place and bought one for $2, although all they had a a 4" one so I have to make it smaller. No big deal.

I also got a cheap dryer vent wall pass through which I will remove the flapper and replace it with a screen. Along with a piece of 3" flex and I should be good.

Of course the salesmen didn't understand why I needed such a thing. He also said that they have disconnected them in the past because of poor stove performance, I don't buy it.

Noah my OAK made an incredible positive difference on both my stoves performance and reduced the amount of run time on my humidifier. Also no more frost build up @ my door strikes or windows. We are able to open and close our windows no problem now as they don't freeze shut now in those bitter cold snaps we both get. You may want to install a cold air trap/U shaped boot before it enters your stove to stop cold air spillage if your kit doesn't have a tight seal. I had to make one for the napoleon but not on the BK as all was a nice tight fit @ the stove adapter through to the primary air damper. I have also insulated the supply duct with foil back insulation as it would frost up 1"- 2". Good luck.
N of 60

I had worried about the cold spill and frost a little. Since it's cold air inside the pipe and warm air in the room I was wondering if condensation would form. I was planing on trying to seal it up as tight as possible.

I just need the time to get it put together.

Kat said:
Well heck. I got quoted $125 for the OAK for my Castine (PLUS an additional $125 for labor to install the OAK). I hadn't decided to do it yet because it seemed awfully pricy, altho it might be a code requirement in King County here even for an existing house - have to call the gov't folks & ask, been putting that off...

Been thinking about installing the darn thing myself, too. So thanks for posting this subject!!!

That seems pretty expensive for parts alone, although they might be using something of a higher quality then me. I think I spent under $25. Just as long as they aren't selling you tin parts that were shipped all the way from Norway.

Status
Not open for further replies.