1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

PB 105 to existing oil system

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by paradirr, Apr 24, 2013.

1. paradirr

paradirr New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Hi to everyone on hearth.com, I am new to the forum as well as new to a PB105 boiler. I just purchased this boiler with the plan of installing it in series with my current oil boiler system. I have searched a lot around about series and parallel but I just seem to think that series may be easier. I am in no way certain that is the way I am heading but I would like other peoples opinions on it. Also I was wondering if I needed to add another circulator pump on the new system. My current is controlled with three zones on zone valves with one circulator. My plan was return of zones into return on PB then supply to return on OB then supply to zones but I am not sure if I need to be able to circulate through both boilers when water is being heated with no call from zones. Any input would be appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bill Bennion

Bill Bennion Member

Loc:
    Lee, NH
    That is exactly how I have my PB 105 set up with oil boiler. I have been running this set up for about 4 years now.
  3. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY
    Me too...no need to ad extra circulator...I recommend a field control vent damper on the oil boiler to help limit losses in your existing boiler
  4. paradirr

paradirr New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    My questions is how does my water circulate when the PB is running and there is no draw for heat, for instants if the temp goes below minumum but my zones are fine? Maybe foolish question but is that ok to just fire the PB to heat water in the actual boiler? I know that the aquastat on the OB powers the circulator pump when it powers the burner. How does that work on the PB? Appreciate the input guys.
  5. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Not familiar with the PB - but would it just shut down with no call for heat?
  6. R Mannino

R Mannino Member

Loc:
    Long Island, N.Y.
    How are you producing domestic hot water? Coil, indirect or direct?
  7. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY
    the pb 105 will just heat itself ...fire at low setting and go off at high setting...no circulator because there is no call for heat.. the pb knows nothing but these settings.
  8. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY
    I have a hot water maker on its own zone...now since boiler is off I'm back to electric
  9. paradirr

paradirr New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    ok thanks that clears it up. I was not sure if it was ok for pb to run on its own with no call for heat other than inside the boiler. My DHW is going to be hybrid electric on its own system. Thanks for the help.