PDVC combustion fan questions Urgent please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mystove

Nov 28, 2012
Been going to deal this fan, thought it may have been having issues due to burn problems, no gasket so have not got it done. Any advice what I can look for in town to buy that will work safely, no time for waiting on the mail. Also is this fan one that can be oiled and if yes where and what with?

I had to shut it down last night, I woke up with a loud, high pitch noise coming from fan but it is working. Not sure if fan will be ok or not.

If not, does anyone have a source for parts that fit this stove and are cheaper and ship fast?

Looking to be 7 degrees tonight and this is my heat source.

I appreciate the help.

Find a local HVAC shop and buy a sheet or two of lytherm.

Make your own ... https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ower-hi-temp-lytherm-gasket-from-sheet.86680/

The motor for combustion can be oiled as temporary measure on the outer seal / bearing. Use 3-1 oil or engine oil in small drops. Some motor housings have holes to oil the bearings, you have to look for them, use the net and search for how.

If you have a Grainger local to you, they might have a motor in stock, or a place like them local.

Good luck.

I'll see what local stores I can find. Icy roads today fun. No Grainger near, have one tractor store I will be checking out this morning. Doubt they will have a motor but they may have gasket material. It is where I bought my bearing for the auger last winter. Still trying to locate a less expensive replacement blower motor online. Thanks for the help.

I've never replaced a gasket on a combustion fan. If the gasket comes off in one piece, fine, I use it again. If not, oh well, it goes in the trash and I use High Temperature Red RTV (Permatex) in place of the gasket. Been doing that for years with no issue. Putty knife seperates the housings when it's time to clean. scrape off the old and apply new and button it up. No big deal.

To the OP, you will not get the CA fan off the motor shaft in one piece (it will be heat locked in place) so might as well oil the bugger and expedite a new one from the manufacturer and in the future, do some preventative maintenance. An ounce of prevention/maintenance equals a pound of cure, or in your case, a warm home.

Pellet stoves and multifuel stoves require regular maintenance applied to the mechanical components, not just ash cleaning. No maintenance equals failure.

Reactions: funflyer
In a pinch you could use some high heat (red) RTV along with the old gasket. Don't use it on the gasket face or you may have trouble removing the motor at a later date. Once you reinstall the motor with the old gasket, run a bead of RTV along the outer edge just where the gasket sticks out,to seal it up (see picture). You can even fire the stove back up while the sealant is still wet and it will cure just fine. High temp RTV can be found at any auto parts store or hardware store. Good luck.

Attachments

• DSC04805.JPG
    DSC04805.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 68
Ok I have the fan out, gasket DOA. Have RTV and 3 in 1 oil. Still trying to figure out exactly where to oil this. Most of my time was spent digging through my husbands mess of tools, can't find a freaking thing.

Ok I have the fan out, gasket DOA. Have RTV and 3 in 1 oil. Still trying to figure out exactly where to oil this. Most of my time was spent digging through my husbands mess of tools, can't find a freaking thing.

Not good. I do not allow my wife in my toolbox, in fact, I bought her a set of tools just for that reason.

All the hoopla about red RTV is just that. Put a bead of RTV around the face of the mating flange just prior to reassembly and put it back together with NO GASKET. Take the old gasket and can it. Better yet, put it in your hubby's toolbox... he'll appreciate it.

Not good. I do not allow my wife in my toolbox, in fact, I bought her a set of tools just for that reason.

All the hoopla about red RTV is just that. Put a bead of RTV around the face of the mating flange just prior to reassembly and put it back together with NO GASKET. Take the old gasket and can it. Better yet, put it in your hubby's toolbox... he'll appreciate it.

LOL I told him this morning I am buying a PINK set of tools so he won't use them and I can find them!

Serious HUGS for all the help! I'm going to order a blower today but for the time being I have heat and that is going to feel really great after sitting in 50 degrees in here today.

Status
Not open for further replies.