PE Alderlea T5 insert issues...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gasavage- Thanks for the pics...makes me feel a little better to know that something isnt
just missing from the stove. It just looks to be a sloppy weld job...not something you
should find in this grade of stove.

I never heard a thing back from the dealer...

Can some kind owner of an Alderlea T5 that isn’t burning today, pull the boost manifold cover and post a picture of that whole area to this thread?

Here you go, BG. You can't see very well in this photo, but there was excess slag on this intake hole, which has been ground down at the factory. Looks like this step was omitted on the OP's stove. About 60 seconds with a grinding wheel in a power drill is all it will take to fix it.

Attachments

• t5boost.jpg
    t5boost.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 318
  • t5boost2.jpg
    t5boost2.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 320
thechimneysweep- Thanks for posting another pic for me. I am still waiting for the dealer
to call me back and tell me something. I could easily do the repair myself but I thought I
would make sure they didnt want to look it over first...dont want to void a warranty or
something. Still looks like sloppy work to me...compared to the T6 its damn rough. I
sure didnt expect to have to work on a brand new stove thou... If I do have to grind
the weld down...do I need to spray some stove paint on it to keep it from rusting?

I would like to thank everyone for the help on this. It sure would be hard to deal with
stove problems without all of your assistance... It is much appreciated.

Good info for us all Shadow & Flame.

Tom, can you clarify the difference between the T5 & T6 boost manifolds? What regulates this air supply on each stove? I thought it was the EBT on the T6/Summit, but maybe that is not correct? Not sure on the T5/Spectrum.

OK, BG, I'll give it a go.

There is an air manifold system that completely surrounds the door opening, just inside the firebox. The draft control admits air into the manifold at the bottom, and the chimney updraft pulls primary combustion air through the manifold and into the firebox through two openings:

1) The airwash chute across the top of the door
2) The boost air hole we've been discussing in this thread

The draft control regulates the air entering the manifold in both the T5 and the T6. In the T6, the EBT overrides the draft control to supply combustion air to the manifold as needed when the draft control has been adjusted too low to support complete combustion during Stage 2 of the fire.

Hey... could I have finally stumbled upon the ultimate description of the EBT mechanism?

I wonder how plugging that hole would effect the burn? More air wash, less of that blow torch burn down the middle and maybe a longer burn? Probably wouldn't pass the EPA though.

Well, Any resolution with PE or the dealer? I just ordered a T5 insert & am now curious if I will have the same issue.
Keep me posted on the fix.

PS My dealer isn't sure if he can find a T5 insert. Says they may not be available until early 2012??? :mad:

Bill B.
Swartz Creek, Mi

Good info Tom as always. I think that description should be added to the EBT entry in the sweep's library.

Status
Not open for further replies.