PE Summit changes over time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
There's a PE Summit for sale for cheap locally that I'm thinking of picking up. The stove tag says it is a "Summit series A, 2002." The owner says it's seen little use. (No, I don't need it but for his price I'll stick it in the garage for later.)

What changes have been made to the Summit? Are they significant? What is the current series?

Any knowledgeable input would be appreciated.

The current Summit and Summit Classic are Series A.

Thought for the record I'd post the response I got from PE support:

"There are only minor changes between the Summit of 2002 and the Summit of today. That stove was always supplied with a stainless baffle. However, now, with all of our stoves, we encapsulate the insulation above the baffle. For a used stove, you should check and make sure there is no warping of the internal parts or cracks in the firebox."

Put your hand up there an feel if the blanket is exposed or if it's enclosed inside the baffle.

Good luck, what would you do with this one? You're going to have to open a stove shop soon ;-).

On the newer Summit's, the insulation blanket rests on top of the baffle with a heat shield over top & both sides of the blanket.
It does not rest inside the baffle.

Ah, I was feeling the heat shield on my stove.

BeGreen said:
Good luck, what would you do with this one? You're going to have to open a stove shop soon ;-).

I for sure don't need it - and as I add more passive solar I'll need even less stove power. I'm only considering getting it because it's such a steal of a deal :) But it's not in the bag yet, the stove is 70 miles north and I pulled a pelvic muscle yesterday which means I couldn't move it right now it if I had to...

Correct. When you go to clean and remove the baffle, it all comes out as a unit. The heat shield on top of the baffle is held on by a vertical tab that is split in 1/2. the insulation lays around, then the heat shield lays on top of the blanket, with the tab sliding vertically through the slot in the shield, and the two fingered halves of the tab are bent in opposite directions of each other. That is all that holds the shield on, but works just fine.
Crude but effective.

the insulation blanket rests on top of the baffle with a heat shield over top & both sides of the blanket.

Hog, right you are. That's what PE means when they say the blanket is encapsulated above the baffle.

And BeGreen is right too, although the wording might have more correctly been something like; "enclosed inside the baffle assembly".

The blanket and its housing are part of the baffle assembly.

Now, most importantly, why did I even start picking the nit on this world-shaking issue?

Time to go home.

LOL. Tom your such a ball buster ;)

I only know cause I had mine out enough times.

Thanks summit guys--making my pick look better all the time.

What blanket?/ good grief.

So nice to just have the creamic baffle that waffles together, and then those accursed burn tubes underneath.

To the OP, swap it out for something simple like an Enviro. heh,heh.

Whoops,,, not supposed to stir here in the Hearth Room. :shut:

Just saying, getting 7 hour burn times with softwood, and not really trying that hard. Least non of those tech problems you guys are discussing.. I like Simple. I love simplicity!!!

sonnyinbc said:

So nice to just have the creamic baffle that waffles together, and then those accursed burn tubes underneath.

Just saying, getting 7 hour burn times with softwood, and not really trying that hard. Least non of those tech problems you guys are discussing.. I like Simple. I love simplicity!!!

Wanna make a wager as to how long the stainless Summit baffle & blanket lasts compared to your waffle board? ;)

Hogwildz said:
sonnyinbc said:

Wanna make a wager as to how long the stainless Summit baffle & blanket lasts compared to your waffle board? ;)

Well Hogg: I don`t need a little bity blanket to last the nite. my kodiak bear does quite well.

Will admit though, now on the fire-starting thing, yes, I do one or two bow ties on the top. Actually, they have saved my ass a couple of times. eg--kindlilng not as dry as first thought, no worries, those top bow-ties bring the heat down something fierce.

At least I will admit to using them partially,,, bet you won`t though--will you?? :-/

I don't waste time with paper & bow ties. I use two splits with a pc of scrap wood between and a fire starter and some kindling and small splits across the other splits.. Works every time & fast.
Bow ties...... Sheesh.

Hogwildz said:
I don't waste time with paper & bow ties. I use two splits with a pc of scrap wood between and a fire starter and some kindling and small splits across the other splits.. Works every time & fast.
Bow ties...... Sheesh.

So--I take it there will be no bow-tie`s in the xmas present you are sending me>>? :lol:

Forget it then--don`t bother sending me any of that nuclear waste--give it to the Web instead--it will save you a bundle on postage :lol:

sniff, sniff, I`m smelling ashes, maybe nuclear ones at that.??

I was told to never trust a man with a Bow Tie. :) of course I do not remember who told me that, but if i had to guess it was my more senile grandpa.

Status
Not open for further replies.