PE Summit Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nwctjeff

May 4, 2008
nw connecticut
First time poster and brand new insert owner. The new PE summit insert will be installed in a couple weeks. We have loved our fireplace but with the cost of oil, it is time to get practical while enjoying the fire.

My question to other Summit insert owners is what length/size log do you find ideal to use. Any other comments or suggestions that would help a newbie get started would be great also.

I have been lurking around this website for a few months while trying to make a decision about an insert and which one. I have found the site to be a great source of information. This will be the first winter I look forward to in a long time.

Welcome aboard. From what I've heard here the Summit insert is a great stove. Should keep you nice and toasty next winter.

Welcome Jeff. Good choice. We have several Summit insert owners here. With the large firebox you can load it either North/South (logs parallel with the sides) or East/West (logs parallel with the front/back). An 18" log is a good size for this stove, though it will handle larger logs diagonally placed. Load N/S for a quick start and strong fire. Load E/W when a slower fire like an overnighter is the goal.

There is a wealth of postings on this forum about your insert. Do an advanced search for keyword: Summit Insert , Member Name: Hogwildz or willhound or iceman for starters.

Congrats on the PE Summit.. It will keep you warm for many months...

Hmmm.. lets see.. Around 12-15 foot long.. 5-8 inches diameter...

When you get wood from other people, make sure to let them know how long you want it. Sometimes I have to re-cut the wood I get from other folks..

Status
Not open for further replies.