PE Summit Series B

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bcguy

Jan 24, 2018
Comox British Columbia
Hello: Certainly happy to have found this site after googling up my woodstove issue. (PE Summit Classic Series B) We have been using this stove for 7 yrs.. no problems and the sweep was in every year sooner sometimes if we noticed smoke coming out the door when loading. Nothing has changed and we now have smoke coming out the door when loading everytime. I cleaned the old baffle and this seemed to work somewhat with less smoke coming. I decided to replace the baffle this week. It is now worse with smoke coming out every time. We have just had the chimney sweeped to no avail for this problem. (I do not see fire coming out of the holes of the new baffle) I have also opened doors in the basement thinking it could be a pressure matter... still smoke just pours out the door....more so than the old baffle. We have also replaced the old single wall chimney with a new stainless double wall. Same problem with both chimneys. The chimney has been swept...same problem. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Welcome to hearth.com. What is the chimney setup from stovetop to the sky?

Have you measured the humidity % of your wood? Are you using another batch of wood? Seems like damp wood to me

A couple of suggestions for investigation into the problem:.
1. I would double check the chimney cap screen , either with binoculars or climb on the roof. If you use paper products to start a fire, it is possible that paper debris could contribute to the chimney cap screen plugging up.

2. Was there any construction, remodeling, or major tree removal around the house that could have affected the air flow around the home?

3. When the stove is cold, shop vac out all the air inlets, and much more difficult remove the baffle and shop vac the secondary air channel

4. Have a different chimney sweep inspect the system

- if possible, a possible simple solution could be to add a section of pipe to the top of the chimney

If the sweep did not cover the rear vertical channel opening at the top (baffle rests over it at back)., then it is clogged with the sweepings. Pull the baffle and tape a smaller hose to a shop vac and get down to the bottom of the rear channel and vacuum the crap out. I'm betting this is your issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: begreen
Hello: Certainly happy to have found this site after googling up my woodstove issue. (PE Summit Classic Series B) We have been using this stove for 7 yrs.. no problems and the sweep was in every year sooner sometimes if we noticed smoke coming out the door when loading. Nothing has changed and we now have smoke coming out the door when loading everytime. I cleaned the old baffle and this seemed to work somewhat with less smoke coming. I decided to replace the baffle this week. It is now worse with smoke coming out every time. We have just had the chimney sweeped to no avail for this problem. (I do not see fire coming out of the holes of the new baffle) I have also opened doors in the basement thinking it could be a pressure matter... still smoke just pours out the door....more so than the old baffle. We have also replaced the old single wall chimney with a new stainless double wall. Same problem with both chimneys. The chimney has been swept...same problem. Thanks in advance.
Wondering, did you have any success with this problem--was it crap in the secondary airway?

Hope you got it solved.