PE Summit vs. Alderlea T6 vs. Enerzone 3.4 vs. Jotul F600 FL vs. Jotul Carrabassett

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a Napoleon 1900 in the future?

So Im going to pull the trigger on a newer, larger stove in the next little while, hopefully before xmas. Im relying on there still being a government rebate significant enough for me to afford the stove I choose. Although Ive been thinking about this for a while, the recent cold spell and potential for the government rebate to be ending are kind of forcing my hand.

Im down to between the Jotul F600 and the PE Alderlea T6. Feel free to post other options if you think they are worth while.

My requirements.

I want the best, most powerful heater.

It has to be able to produce heat 8hrs+

Large firebox. Side loading would be nice. So would top load.

Easy removal of the baffle would be nice so I can run my sooteater up the pipe from inside the stove. One good thing about the Napo, is the baffles are easy to remove for cleaning

A well working ash pan is required. In the above pic, I just cleaned the ashes and as you can see, the top and floor is filthy.

This is a big decision and all opinions welcome. I dont want to screw this up and get the wrong stove like I did the last time!<>

Maybe a Napoleon 1900 in the future?

No more Napos. Im not impressed with their build quality nor their customer service.

No problem, something in the 3 cu ft range.

No problem, something in the 3 cu ft range.

What would you pic between the Alderlea and the Jotul. I see you have both.

It depends on the house and area of installation. They are quite different stoves. The T6 is convective and the F600 is radiant.

It depends on the house and area of installation. They are quite different stoves. The T6 is convective and the F600 is radiant.

House is a ~1700sqft open concept single floor ranch on a slab. Stove is centrally located in living room. Picture windows in Kitchen, living room and dining room. Bedrooms are next to the living room. There is a ceiling fan to help move heat from the living room to the other rooms.

Both will do the job. I like the square firebox on the T6, but love the looks of the big Jotul. The Jotul will provide more direct heat of the area. The T6 will be like a big heat sink, not as hot close by but holding it's heat throughout the night.

Reactions: BrotherBart
The T-6 is a great wood stove. But that F600 is also. I don't see any contest between them. Well, except that the firebox in the T-6 is steel. And I am well known for loving big honkin steel stoves.

Get the T-6 and don't look back. There is a real wood stove hiding behind that iron dress.

Uggg:confused: This is a tough call. I want the "perfect" stove this time! Cant afford to do this again, plus the government money will likely be up soon. Ive been thinking and wanting this upgrade for 2 years now! Time to get off the pot...

I do like the extended burn automatic damper in the T6, assuming it works. But then I like the ash pan and classic looks of the Jotul.

Both the T6 and the F600 are about the same firebox size, correct? The F600 will take a longer log however.

Then there is 81,500 BTU for the F600 and 99,000 for the T6. Does that mean the T6 should produce more heat INTO the room???

Why does this seem like trying to choose between a Ferrari and a Lamborghini! Both are top of te line .. Both will get you there.. Both are fast.. Both are Itialian... Either would be better than the Ford I currently drive..But each has its own flavor! Lol.

Another question..

How is the ducting around either stove if I was to add a blower? On my current one, it merely blows up the back, behind the back heat shield. There is nothing to keep it in contact with the stove to absorb more heat before its blown out. Is one stove better than the other in that regard?

As an example, I can have a STT of 650 and the air coming out the back baffle is a mere 30-36*C. The air isnt in contact enough to pick up any real heat.

You can load the T-6 N/S. End of discussion. PE put the side door in the front of the stove. ;lol

Reactions: PapaDave
Jotul has a blower for the F600 now? I missed that. May be. I haven't looked in a couple of years. Didn't have one then.

You can load the T-6 N/S. End of discussion. PE put the side door in the front of the stove. ;lol

Whats you opinion on side load vs front load? Cant you get more into the firebox with sideload? Can you pack a sideload tighter?

RE: the blower for the F600. Yes I understand they do. The dealer mentioned it. However I wonder how good it is. Its just a kit with a blower and a back heat shield. The fan mounts to the shield. Its no different than what I got on my Napo. that doesnt work well. Expensive too, like over $300 IIRC.

What about Ash Pan on the Jotul vs the T6? I understand the Jotul has a very nice system. I want to get away from the bucket and shovel and the dust it creates.

With N/S loading in the T-6 it is just like side loading another stove. Tight pack, no roll outs to the glass. All blowers blow air up through the rear heat shield. Same same any stove you buy.

On ash pans I have only one opinion. They are all crap and I let them fill up within two burns and never use them. Except on my current stove. The only time I use it is to heat dinner rolls since it has never had ashes in it.

Learn to scoop ashes right.

What about Ash Pan on the Jotul vs the T6? I understand the Jotul has a very nice system. I want to get away from the bucket and shovel and the dust it creates.
Jotul - 1, T6 - 0. I'm not impressed with the small ashole that the T6 has.

With N/S loading in the T-6 it is just like side loading another stove. Tight pack, no roll outs to the glass. All blowers blow air up through the rear heat shield. Same same any stove you buy.

Thanks. BB and Begreen. You guys have been real helpful..

Re: blowers. Some stoves Ive seen take the air from the back of the stove direct it up the back, across the top and out the front. I believe the Enerzone is like that, as is the large Napo. Im sure many others are too. On the back of my stove its just a thin sheet of tin and the blower blows up that, between the shield and the back of the firebox. Its a straight shot up and out.

I remember some old school woodstoves where there were tubes right through the firebox. The air coming out of those tubes was HOT!!!. I want something that makes the air hot like that.

On ash pans I have only one opinion. They are all crap and I let them fill up within two burns and never use them. Except on my current stove. The only time I use it is to heat dinner rolls since it has never had ashes in it.

Learn to scoop ashes right.

Any tips? Ive tried everything. I put the ash bucket right up to the stove. Tried opening / closing the stove damper. Whenever I put the ash into the bucket a puff of fine dust wafts into the air.

That was the old Englanders. Heating monsters. My current Englander blows the heat up through the heat shield that turns it over the top of the stove and out into the room. Like the T-6. Sucker will blow you out of the room on high.

Yep. Do it when the stove is still warm so the flue is drafting. Hold the bucket leaning into the door and gently scoop and put them into the bucket. The draft pulls the dust up the flue. If you have coals in the scoop shake it gently and they fall off and you move them to the side for the reload and then dump the ashes gently into the tucked into the door bucket.

Yep. Do it when the stove is still warm so the flue is drafting. Hold the bucket leaning into the door and gently scoop and put them into the bucket. The draft pulls the dust up the flue. If you have coals in the scoop shake it gently and they fall off and you move them to the side for the reload and then dump the ashes gently into the tucked into the door bucket.

Thats pretty much what I do. Generally I clean the ash out either every day or every 2nd, so even doing that trick Im still making a lot of dust. Believe me, SWMBO lets me know about the dust the stove is making::-). I hate wasting alot of those hot coals, but I have to get a them out to make room to reload. The firebox has a low ceiling. Thats another part of the reason I want to go biger.

So, the blower setup on the T6 really blows out the hot air??? Or is it merely warm?

Every house, stove and split you put in it is different. I don't have a T-6 or live in NS but have a stove with the same size firebox. And at the moment it is 26F outside, 74F inside upstairs and down in this 2,500 sq. ft. barn and this night burn is settled in to keep it that way till sunup. With the blower running.

IMG_0026.JPG

Every house, stove and split you put in it is different. I don't have a T-6 or live in NS but have a stove with the same size firebox. And at the moment it is 26F outside, 74F inside upstairs and down in this 2,500 sq. ft. barn and this night burn is settled in to keep it that way till sunup. With the blower running.

View attachment 121074

Status
Not open for further replies.