PE Summit vs. Alderlea T6 vs. Enerzone 3.4 vs. Jotul F600 FL vs. Jotul Carrabassett

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speak up Ash Man. We can't hear ya.

We love our T6. It is currently -24C and I have to be careful or I will over heat our 1700 sq. Ft., open space, story and a half home, also with many windows. I don't mind not having a functional ash pan, as it does not seem to need to be emptied very often. I find that it does burn hot, and will barely have red embers left after 8 hours, using birch. I use poplar until it gets real cold. It is a great stove, and easy to use. We also have a straight run chimney. Our old stove was top load, which we loved, but the front load is fine. We use it NS and EW, depending on my mood. Gonna go load up for the night - supposed to go down to -31C. Birch it is tonight!

Another vote for the T6. The last time I was stove shopping I thought I wanted a top or side load but my wife fell in love with the Mansfield..... now I so happy I'm not trying to fill the stove through a little door.

@begreen Did PE make changes to the T6 like they did the summit?

my wife fell in love with the Mansfield

Damn it. Don't talk about the Manny. I seriously want one and don't have a place to put it. <>

Got some pricing today.

Very, very good pricing on the F600 from a local dealer. $3100 in Blue/Bk enamel. $2735 in plain black. Those are about $450 less than other dealers gave as "best prices" and $650 less than full retail.

AlderleaT6, locally was $2950 with the blower kit included. $55 less than the other best price that did not include the blower. $282 less than full retail. One issue is that their is only the right hand door in stock, all the left doors are sold, therefore it would be the middle of January before I would get it if I wanted the LH door. The T6 RH and F600 are in stock.

As I understand it, Pacific is a bit weird with their RH and LH naming conventions.

Seems like Im getting a better deal with the F600, but I get the blower with the T6. $3100 for the Jotul seems like a great price??

What to get??

Can somebody explain how the difference between the BTU output of the T6 (99,000) and the F600 (85,500) plays out in real life?

Local dealer said to not put that much stock into it. Basically it is a numbers game. In his opinion the F600 heats as well or better than the T6.

Id just like a bit of confirmation on that fact. I certainly dont want to go down the "too small a stove" hole again.

Your dealer is correct. The radiant heat of the F600 is going to feel warmer 12 ft away from the stove. But considering that you are heating upstairs too I think the T6 will be better at keeping temps more even throughout. And it has a more flexibly sized, square firebox. That said, if you go with the F600 I still think you will like it.

Begreen, just to clarify, this is a single story home.

Its open concept, but rather long. Moving heat to the furthest extents could be an issue.

Got it. I lose continuity in all the posts and comments in long threads.

Got it. I lose continuity in all the posts and comments in long threads.

Lol. Happens to the best of us.

Does the single story change any opinions?

Your call based on your priorities. Each stove has different, attractive features. I think a blower will be helpful regardless of choice. If you are not hard pressed to buy right now, you might wait a month or two. Prices tend to drop in late Jan and Feb. as shops try to reduce inventory.

I dont think Ill beat the quotes I got today, even in January.

None of these stoves are stocked at any of the stores I called. All are coming from wholesalers. Its a single wholesaler who covers my entire province as well as the provinces of New Brunswick, PEI and Newfoundland. ITs kinda surprising the range of prices I got considering.

I got my pre-approval for the efficiency improvement rebate tonite. Im pretty sure Im going to pull the trigger tomorrow. So I can have it by monday.

I still have no real idea what the best stove will be. Seeing 99000 BTU for the T6 makes me lean that way... but the ash pan, looks and construction are better on the Jotul.

So tuff!!. I dont want to make a $3000 mistake!

I would agree overall but have to say the T6 meets Jotul construction standards, just in a different way. Ash pan, agreed no contest. Flexibility with the trivet top and square firebox, score T6.

I wish I could see a F600 firebox in person.... I know the Summit firebox from a friends stove, and Im pretty sure the T6 is exactly the same.

The trivet top is nice. Kids could use it for mittens etc.

But Im more concerned with the maximum heat output and easy ash collection. I can always build some sort of rack for clothes drying.

Does the door on the f600 open to expose the whole height of the firebox? Can you fully load the F600 via the front glass doors too?

I feel like Im suffering from a bad case of analysis paralysis!

Dealer said something else today that was interesting and I should make its own thread for it, because I KNOW there will be lots of opinions on it.... He said that double wall pipe reduces a stoves output by up to 20%!!! I trust what he says.. Hes been in this business for over 30 years. Seems to go against conventional wisdom that the double wall pipe makes the stove work better. I know in my experience double wall really improved my stoves output, more than the 20% radiant lost from the pipe I think...

The jazz about the pipe is that single wall loses heat out into the room. And also craps up in the process. If you want to know what a Firelight looks like inside, go open your guest room door and look inside. It is huge.

During my seemingly never ending research I found out that the Jotul doesnt like corner installs, and requires 36" clearance to the side door!

That lead me to Carefully measure my flue location and do some doodling in AutoCad.

As a result, Im really tight on the right hand corner clearance, and do not have enough clearance between the side door and the wall, only about 24-30"

I was strongly leading towards the Jotul too. It sure is a pretty stove. Was wanting the Blue Black enamel both for appearance and long term durability. Kinda disapointed.

But anyways, I pulled the trigger on the T6. It can be installed in tight clearances and therefore Ill have no issues.

In all honesty, I think the T6 might fit my home layout better plus it comes with the blower and is a bit cheaper. Too bad it wasnt available in enamel, thats the only thing missing.

All in all I should be happy with the T6! I sure hope so!

Attachments

• Stove layout.jpg
    Stove layout.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 148
We have a corner install. That's why no big Jotul here. You are allowing a ton of room for the T6. It can go much closer into the corner on the left side. Our stove is 21" where you have 39". Is that because of the existing ceiling support box location?

FYI The BK Ashford comes in a satin midnight enamel that I have a sneaky suspicion might be blue-black.

We have a corner install. That's why no big Jotul here. You are allowing a ton of room for the T6. It can go much closer into the corner on the left side. Our stove is 21" where you have 39". Is that because of the existing ceiling support box location?

Yeah.. the pipe location is because of the ceiling box.

I agree, the stove could be much closer , but I use the side of the stove area for wood storage, plus if I was to move it, Id have to get some 45*s which is added cost.

Id upload a pic, but my card reader just decided to crap out for some reason

FYI The BK Ashford comes in a satin midnight enamel that I have a sneaky suspicion might be blue-black.

I wanted to look at a BK, but there is no local dealer anymore. In all my years here Ive yet to see a BK in somebodies house or a store for that matter.

Yeah.. the pipe location is because of the ceiling box.

I agree, the stove could be much closer , but I use the side of the stove area for wood storage, plus if I was to move it, Id have to get some 45*s which is added cost.

Id upload a pic, but my card reader just decided to crap out for some reason

No problem, that's what I thought.

Its just a basic Selkirk install. It's about 60" from stove top to the collar where it goes into the Selkirk. Above the roof there is ~5' of pipe that is topped with a raincap. It's all 6" pipe.

Perhaps a picture would be better

IMG_4467.jpg
Holy snorkel Batman! Up periscope!!!!!!!!
Ain't no stove gonna burn worth a crap with set up.
BG gave some sage advise, get that puppy going straight up and down, and see how she burns then.

Oops sorry, posted before I saw the after shot.
Hard to fathom that thing not pumping out some serious heat.
If that cruises at 600, most other stoves do the same, so another stove may not be any better.
There has to be some serious heat loss, or how maybe the set up of where he stove is to the rest of the house. Something else is factoring in here other than a stove that is really putting out decent heat.

Not sure if it's been said, but the baffle system in the T6 is the best design I have ever seen!! It comes out easy in one piece and leaves a straight shot up your flue for an easy clean. It sold me on the stove.
Someone else mentioned ash pans as being crap! I have not seen a good one.

I have been burning in my T6 since the 1st of October and I have scooped it out only once! Minimal clean out compared to my last stove and I burn 24/7!

You made a good decision! We also have a corner install, and can't believe how cool the wall stays. The T6 will be your friend for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.