PE T6 In and Working! Real test - subzero tonight... PICS ADDED

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosetrek

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
CA in the Sierras
Thanks to everyone for your advice and ideas as we picked out a new stove. Our T6 came in last week, we installed it on Saturday. Took a little time, and little grunt, and a lot of thinkin' to get it off the truck and into the house with just my wife, her uncle, and me. But we did it, and got the Englander 30NC out into the garage wher it sits awaiting a new home. So far our observations are:

1. As hoped for, the heat is so much softer in our small house than the steel stove.
2. It burns more efficiently at lower temps than the Englander
3. Glass is cleaner (see #2, I think it has a more even air inlet, and seems more inclined to burn at a lower air level than smolder as the Englander did
4. Longer burns; plenty of coals left on a smaller load when we come home after work.
5. Door is on the wrong side (even though we ordered it like the Englander)
6. OAK a B!t@# to hook up after the stove is in place - at least the Englader had a simple 3" pipe out the back, this one is 4" out the bottom.
7. Pretty to look at.
8. Love the stove.
9. Wife loves the stove
10. Love the wife.

Thanks all; pics to come soon. As mentioned going below 0F tonight, as we have no curtains and lots of older wood double-paned windows it'll be a good test.

I think you'll be fine :)

Congrats !!

Nice.

The heat goes on, the heat goes on
Wood keeps sending warmth out to the home,
La de da de de, la de da de da

Englander was once the rage, uh huh
History has turned the page, uh huh
Blaze Kings are the current thing, uh huh
Woodstock is our newborn king, uh huh

Pot Belly's a downdraft now, uh huh
VC's still break their parts, uh huh
And trees still keep marching off to cords
Electrically they keep a baseball score

Grandmas sit in chairs and reminisce
Boy that old big ole Fisher was the pits
Stove keep burning longer all the time
Pellet owners ask hey buddy how are the fines?

*dashes up into the attic to look for my furry vests, go go boots, and love beads*

;-P

Fill that bad boy up and put it to work tonight.

another memeber to the "you're awesome 'cause you own a PE" club!!! welcome, and remember the motto "fu&^ it, it's got a lifetime wtty!!"

seriously, though, your gonna love it!

zomgwtfbbq! Where are the install pics?! Say it with me: "stove pr0n!" :lol:

Seriously.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
*dashes up into the attic to look for my furry vests, go go boots, and love beads*

;-P
Pics or it didn't happen! :cheese:

OK here's my try at uploading pics -

and the puppies liking the stove...

Attachments

• Front01.jpg
    Front01.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 638
  • Front02.jpg
    Front02.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 624
  • Puppies n Hearth.jpg
    Puppies n Hearth.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 622
Nice stove and puppies! Looks like the stove is full of fuel. How's the room comfort with the negative temps?

Nice! Makes me feel sad for the goats huddled in their shed... ! It's definitely hard to leave home in the morning-

Nice stove, and as a fellow human owned by a Border Collie, love the pups as well!!

Thanks, we have two Norwegian Elkhounds and the Border Collie was a recent addition, he was abandoned at a ranch and we took him. Elkhouds are not the best herding animals... He's8 months old and an alcoholic though, I've never seen a dog that is so in love with beer (gets it from me I guess). Open a can and he'll bark and climb in your lap until he gets some in his dish. But he's good with the animals so we induge him :)

PE makes a nice stove. I really like the look of their cast iron lineup - very classy.

Too funny, My Border Collie HATES beer, but if I pour a nice single malt and sit on the couch, she will climb up on the back of the couch, and rest her head on my shoulder and whine until I give her a little sip!

Must be from the Scottish border :)

A friend adopted our border collie's sister, similar to Adam's - hates beer, but crazy for whiskey. But it's easy to train him, just drizzle a little beer on the hand after you throw the ball and he'll DEFINITELY come right back to you...! Back to the stove topic; it worked great last night, and so far a very different (but enjoyable) stove from the Englander (also a great stove, though - just different). We're considering the blower now, for these really cold nights to get the heat out a little quicker.

After 1 hour and a half I turned off Primary air and it was cruising like the pics shows for 2 hour and a half:

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 338
Is there a draft inducer on the stack?

Yes indeed. I cannot do without it as lightening up the box causes a lot of smock in the house just until the flu worms up a bit. Can you imagine firing the stove when it is 0F outside and the chimney is outdoors...with the inducer I use it only for startup bout 1 minute is enough to get the cold air out of the chimney.

Do you think the inducer is a breach?

Thanks.

I haven't ever seen a draft inducer in use, I know a few set ups that could sure use one! Do I see a pipe damper in the first picture?

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

;-P

Wasn't Sonny's "do" a takeoff of the Beatles hair?
Come to think of it, Cher's was similar, but longer way back in the day.

You probably know but I though I ought to mention the differences in ns and ew in this stove. If you need heat or long burn then ns is the way to go. You can load more wood and it will not fall into door.

My draft seems stronger as I never leave the draft fully opened for more than 15 minutes. If I left the air fully open for over an hour and half the stove would be somewhere over 800. I do not mind 800 when its needed but I would rather get there slowly with the air shut down. If I load it up when the fire box temp is below 200 and turn the air all the way down it will climb slowly to 650 to 700 max if I load up when the stove is 300 plus and close the air right away it will climb to 800 plus. With our cool winters we get a strong draft. Needless to say we only load it all the way when its cold. The stove will run all night on a 3/4 load. We are using pine rounds. I manage to only cut trees that give us lots of rounds. I think this really helps for long burns with pine.
So if your not getting 800 when you need it your not getting the big heat output that this stove can give. I would try that before getting a blower. I have nothing against blowers other than they need power but this stove will do well without it imho.

Your right about the flexibility of this stove. It works well in shoulder season. That is also the time to burn smallish ew fires.

We do love this stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.