Pedestal VS. Legs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems I heard somewhere that some stoves require a higher r value hearth pad with legs versus a pedestal? My stove particular I liked the pedestal cause it sat higher and hid the oak.

Depends on the stove. My stove has an ember protection only (no r-value needed) hearthpad requirement either way.

Doesn't matter what I like but my wife much prefers the 500 dollar brushed nickel legs.

Reactions: Ashful
It seems I heard somewhere that some stoves require a higher r value hearth pad with legs versus a pedestal? My stove particular I liked the pedestal cause it sat higher and hid the oak.
That could be true, but my stove doesn't specify any different. Under the stove it is not very warm. It is warmer on the hearth in front of stove then under it and my legs are shortened. If the stove is higher that would account for the lower R value.

Status
Not open for further replies.