Pellet Fireplace Not an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

birmantaz

Feb 25, 2010
Metrowest MA
Hi there, I am new here and hoping you can help me. We are renovating and want to add a pellet stove in a new room. I really like the look of a fireplace though and saw the Quadra Fire Edge 60. It looks great, the only problem is I can't find anyone who talks about it or has reviewed it? ALso, I can't seem to find any other pellet fireplaces that aren't inserts... Are there any others? Are they not popular? And if not I'm wondering why? Any info would be appreciated!

Welcome birmantaz,

I took a look at the Quad site and read one of the articles. In the article it says
the EDGE 60 is the first pellet-burning fireplace ever to hit the market....
That pretty much sum's it up. There the first to do this and it maybe a while before you see another company release something similar.

Hope this helps
jay

here are a few Negitive problems with Pellet build ins and or using an insert as a build it,

Most Inserts are not approved to be a Build it. the must be installed into a Approved UL listed zero Clearance fireplace or a brick and Mortar fireplace.
Some Manufactures have come up with Cans that you can place the insert in to make it a build it but that brings up the cost even more.

Smaller hopper size. and Harder to fill because you would have to fill in a small shoot unlike a free stand that would have a large hopper lid.

Noise. Being in a Hollow enclosure area brings out all the noise of the blowers and auger feed. resonates them and amplifies all sounds.

Maintenance. If you install as a build in you would need to used ridged pellet vent (unlike as a insert that used a flexible pipe) so it makes it hard to be able to pull the insert out to give you room to disconnect the flue pipe and to get the the blowers for removable to clean and or repair.

Space is not an issue because a free standing stove would take up the same amount of space and the framing for a build it.

Just giving my experience with stoves. every time I have to service a unit that has been installed as a build in it takes me a hour or more longer to service.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
not really accurate info on quads part, but sounds nice, eh
inserts like the whitfield profile 30 had a cheap easy add on so it could be used as a zc fireplace.

but even long ago, the earthstove hp40 was approved as a zc with minor mods.
Maybe but i WOULD NOT Wish a Profile 30 on my worst enemy

Travis makes the can option for their pellet stoves

I think Enviro was working on getting UL approval with out a can.

but I still dont recommend for the reasons I stated in the other post

ok, thanks for the replies. So, what you are saying is that is it not wise to get a pellet fireplace because of noise and maintenance? I am new to pellet stoves in general and fireplaces, so I'm learning lots!

birmantaz said:
ok, thanks for the replies. So, what you are saying is that is it not wise to get a pellet fireplace because of noise and maintenance? I am new to pellet stoves in general and fireplaces, so I'm learning lots!
and easy to fill and in most cases smaller hopper size.

How about pellet stoves that are freestanding, but have a large viewing window? I really love the traditional fireplace look.... Do I have any better alternatives? Thanks!

birmantaz said:
How about pellet stoves that are freestanding, but have a large viewing window? I really love the traditional fireplace look.... Do I have any better alternatives? Thanks!

Buildin or fireplace
they are going to have the same size fire.

because the fire burns in a small firebox. ranging from 6 inches wide to 12 inches so the size of the glass is only going to give you more of a view of the firebox and no difference of the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.