pellet flame very weak? help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ23

Feb 19, 2014
canada
I have a harman xxv and I turn it on manual, using feeder rate 3 and it normally starts right away no problem.
For the last hour I have been playing with it and I recently cleaned it but for some reason the flame is so tiny, and I don't know what to do. I scaled back the feeder rate to 1 for a bit but it didn't help. Any advice

I have a harman xxv and I turn it on manual, using feeder rate 3 and it normally starts right away no problem.
For the last hour I have been playing with it and I recently cleaned it but for some reason the flame is so tiny, and I don't know what to do. I scaled back the feeder rate to 1 for a bit but it didn't help. Any advice
Did you unplug it when you cleaned it? Mine goes back to default setting (level 1) after power loss .............

Reactions: heat seeker
Check your ESP connection and room temp probe for starters. Things can get bumped in a proper cleaning. The blink codes sometimes do not work. Unplug the stove and plug back in af and turn everything up and see what happens. Hope your cleaning did not mess with the ESP in the exhaust as that can be a big problem.

The flame stays low

Attachments

• 1424105668288.jpg
    1424105668288.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 222
Page 26 of manual talks about the ESP and room temp probe and the low fire. May be time to clean the venting? Or the ESP is shot or the room temp probe

You keep saying you run it on manual, but exactly what is on manual? If you could give us a shot of the settings on your control board, that would keep me from asking a whole host of questions. It looks and sounds like it is at an idle, but that would be on room temp mode.

Also, a feed rate of 1 is not going to help get you a larger flame. Put it back on 3 or 4 unless you are having other issues like unburned pellets going into the ash bin.

Reactions: F4jock
As stated above you need to increase the feed rate to at least 4 Looks like the stove needs more fuel
push it --- push it real good

Hi, when I said manual I mean I don't use room temp. I just scraped again and re lit - it's on 4 but the flame is barely noticeable. I wonder if I should wait an hour or so and see what happens?

What do you have the temp dial setting on? If you have that set to low, then you may get a maintenance burn.

Hi, when I said manual I mean I don't use room temp. I just scraped again and re lit - it's on 4 but the flame is barely noticeable. I wonder if I should wait an hour or so and see what happens?
so your on stove [or constant] mode correct?

Just for giggles, and even thought I don't think it should make a difference in stove mode, check that the temp probe is secure in the back of the stove, if it wiggles, it is not set in correctly, work it around until it does set in.

Between 5 and 6
My P61 seemed stuck in maintenance burn one time in Stove Temp manual. I could turn the temp all the way up, never got a convection fan nor high burn. I flipped on the igniter ( so auto) and it came out of it and has worked fine ever since, though I mostly run in Room Temp anyway... I have no idea what that issue was about, it was like a computer locked up and you have to reboot it.

yes that's correct. I can see unburnt pellets falling
I know you said you cleaned the stove but did you clean inside the igniter compartment ?

i watched that harman video i dont think they mentione the ignitor
The compartment I'm speaking of is under the burn pot. You loosen two screws and slide off a plate. The igniter is in view inside there is all. But that compartment is the main air chamber leading to your burn pot and it can get pretty bound up with ash.

So how many pellets have you burned and what all was entailed in this cleaning you did ?

I scraped, cleaned the burn pot, where the ignitor is and I cleaned behind the unit too in that compartment.

All day it has been a very low flame and sparks often flying.I've never had this issue before, it always lit like a charm

I scraped, cleaned the burn pot, where the ignitor is and I cleaned behind the unit too in that compartment.

All day it has been a very low flame and sparks often flying.I've never had this issue before, it always lit like a charm
Do you mean you cleaned the fines box ? And it's still unclear to me if you cleaned under the burn pot. You say "that compartment". What compartment exactly did you clean behind ? I ask because the fines box cover can be tricky to get back on correctly for the unknowing person. And if it gets back in place incorrectly you will have burn issues.

Reactions: bogieb
Status
Not open for further replies.