Pellet newb..how much care when handling stacking pellets bags??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

offingmoot

Hearth Supporter
Jul 15, 2008
Central/South Jersey
I am getting one ton from my stove dealer who is ONLY selling to people who bought stoves there
i am gonna need another ton 1/2 or so and home depot is my best bet. the closest store is almost 1/2 hour away...to keep costs of the delivery truck down i am going to need to move the bags fast

how careful do i need to be when i am handling and stacking bags....will i be able to literally throw them on the truck and then throw them off when i get home or will they break up easily?
it will most likely be me and my girl and she is gonna have a tough time with 40# bags so i want to be able to throw them off the truck in my driveway or even throw the bags into my basement window for a quick dump off, there is about a four foot drop to the floor, dont want my pellets turning back into saw dust!!!

Common sense would dictate the gentler they are handled the less they break up and potentially create fines.
If I need to move bags individually . I normally grab a bag the long way and cradle it up against my chest and try not to throw but instead place it where it needs to be .
There`s really no need to be paranoid or overly cautious and extra careful whatsoever as they are reasonably tough but I wouldn`t be throwing then around like sandbags either.

The more the bags are handled, the more fines you will end up with.

Roughly throwing them around or dropping them to the ground will not only create more
fines but it may possibly blow holes in your bags too.

I agree with Giovanni and tinkabranc. Better to offer a buddy or two a case of beer in exchange for their help than to rush it and bust up the pellets and/or the bags.

good feedback thats what i figured, but wanted to make sure
i know the depot charge for the truck is $19.99 for 75 minutes.....they start the clock once it is loaded, if i can get my bro and a buddy we can bang it out...i think i'll have one guy on the truck, one guy outside the basement, and me in the basement with a passing chain to get them thru the window, that spot in the basement by the window is not where i was going to store them its the furthest point from the stairs that go up to the stove....i can always carefully restack them in a better place at my leasure once i return the truck, i can skip the gym for a few days after that!!LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.