Pellet NooB - Installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will add some eye candy......this is mine where it sits in the shop I bought it from. I do not yet have it home and hooked up.

Very nice! Are you going to give it a fresh coat of Stove Bright High Temp paint to make it look brand spanking new?

Very nice! Are you going to give it a fresh coat of Stove Bright High Temp paint to make it look brand spanking new?

probably not, sounds like a real mess. It will clean up a bit, in the pic its very dusty.

Thanks by the way !
Does $850 seem like a good price ??
I'm very familiar with most other heating products( Plumbing and Heating) side business for around 10 years,and I'm not to concerned with electronics related issues, as my "full time" career is electronics repair and some engineering. BUT I'm quite ignorant to pellet stoves ! Although I have learned allot over the past few months of looking.......

Thanks by the way !
Does $850 seem like a good price ??
I'm very familiar with most other heating products( Plumbing and Heating) side business for around 10 years,and I'm not to concerned with electronics related issues, as my "full time" career is electronics repair and some engineering. BUT I'm quite ignorant to pellet stoves ! Although I have learned allot over the past few months of looking.......

Yes, that is a good price, they go new for $2,000 ! ! !

Today, I got my Big E Fire Box painted. It was dirty. So first wit as vacuumed out, then it needed wire brushing with the wire wheel on the drill driver. Then using the die grinder on the DeWalt 300 PSI compressor it was ground smooth to the touch. After a thorough cleaning with acetone, a nice coat of 2,000 Deg F VHS Flame Proof Flat black car header paint gave it a nice protective high temp coating!

Painting the outside with a nice Satin Black Stove Bright spray paint will be the easy part!
See pic below

Click on pic to Enlarge:
Still has to dry! LOL

Attachments

• BigE-FireBoxPainting.JPG
    BigE-FireBoxPainting.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 142
When I was a kid we used a wood stove and I think I remember t using a magnetic thermometer on the pipe and keeping the pipe between X-Y temp,
with the pellet stove using and insulated or double wall pipe what should the outside temp be on it ?

We had our stove installed yesterday and there is a bit of a learning curve with damper settings, So I thought we could monitor the pipe temp to help with damper settings.

When I was a kid we used a wood stove and I think I remember t using a magnetic thermometer on the pipe and keeping the pipe between X-Y temp,
with the pellet stove using and insulated or double wall pipe what should the outside temp be on it ?

We had our stove installed yesterday and there is a bit of a learning curve with damper settings, So I thought we could monitor the pipe temp to help with damper settings.

The best way to setup the damper setting on a wood pellet stove is by using an analog magnehelic guage or a newer digital manometer to adjust the draft properly for the stove.

magnehelic guage
http://www.davis.com/Product/Dwyer_...rred_id=3388&gclid=CNXboLbCybwCFcdQOgodQjwADw

You can also adjust it by looking at the flame.

The best way to setup the damper setting on a wood pellet stove is by using an analog magnehelic guage or a newer digital manometer to adjust the draft properly for the stove.

magnehelic guage
http://www.davis.com/Product/Dwyer_...rred_id=3388&gclid=CNXboLbCybwCFcdQOgodQjwADw

You can also adjust it by looking at the flame.

Yeah, Ive been looking at the flame until my eyes hurt and it all looks the same.............unless the damper is completely closed or completely open. I'v only ever really seen brand new Harmans burn in a show room setting and there flame seems straight and almost uniform, mine is anything but !

I don't follow the logic behind the gauge you posted, It seems to be designed to mount via "saddle vale" to small diameter pipe ?? Seems like it would be easier to spend $20 on a magnetic thermometer ???

Yeah, Ive been looking at the flame until my eyes hurt and it all looks the same.............unless the damper is completely closed or completely open. I'v only ever really seen brand new Harmans burn in a show room setting and there flame seems straight and almost uniform, mine is anything but !

I don't follow the logic behind the gauge you posted, It seems to be designed to mount via "saddle vale" to small diameter pipe ?? Seems like it would be easier to spend $20 on a magnetic thermometer ???

I like the digital manometer much better.
Here is the one I use. :)

See pic
Click to Enlarge:

Attachments

• DigitalManometerInUse.JPG
    DigitalManometerInUse.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 130
Hello

Well, I went from Breckwell Brown to Satin Black on my Nu-2-Me Big E. How does it look? ? ?

Now if it works? The exhaust blower and housing is missing though? :-(

See pic
Click to Enlarge

Attachments

• BigE-SatinBlack.JPG
    BigE-SatinBlack.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 118
Hello

I just upgraded our Big E Exhaust blower today with the larger impellers. Now I can "Run on Heat Level 1" ! ! !

interesting......not being able to run on "1" is an issue for me as-well.

interesting......not being able to run on "1" is an issue for me as-well.

PC (Private Conversation) me with your email and I can show you pics of what I did.

Way back on page one I noticed that the OP put PVC pipe on his OAK after the automotive pipe. PVC is a no--no in the OAK!!!! Please replace it with metal. NORMALLY it pulls air in so that's not a problem, but if power goes out, the hot air from the burn chamber will go back out the OAK and could cause a fire! Read the manual.

My installer also wrapped insulation around the intake pipe to prevent condensation, if that helps. I can see condensation being a problem at certain times of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.