Pellet Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petejung

Sep 28, 2007
I've never seen how they store pallets of pellets at the store, until Monday. I was at Home Depot, and here's 20 skids of pellets sitting out in their garden area. I guess I was a little shocked that they stored them outside, exposed to the weather. They were shrinkwrapped, and had a thicker piece of plastic on the top of the skid, but still...

But then again, where else would they put them?

Anyone have any insight into this? Should we avoid buying pellets stored outside, or is it pretty commonplace for them to be stored outside waiting to be sold?

Honestly, I can't think of many places around here that don;t store them outside at some point in the distribution process. Don't forget... there's also a thick (feels like 6 mil) plastic cover over the bags, then shrinkwrapping (at least with NE Pellets). I think with the cover, shrinkwrapping, and individual bagging, they're pretty watertight.

Think this is the standard for the industry. The stacking and shipping are all done open, so the pallets are well water sealed. The worry comes when they tear a stack open to sell a few bags. Then the water proof integrity may be compromised. When you buy, inspect the stack, if you notice any condensation inside the layers of wrap, ask to open a few of the top bags for inspection. Even then they are likely dry. In the years I have been using pellets I have only had a problem once when I bought the last of Lowe's pellets for the season. I got a great deal, so didn't mind the three damp bags. I opened the bags and let them dry and threw away the bad pellets, but the majority burned fine.

Each time the bags are handled, the risk of tiny moisture admitting tears increases. If you intend to keep them outside, don't accept a pallet load that has the vinyl cover removed at some point. And if the pallet has been restacked and shrink wrapped only store them inside. If stored outside, try to put them in a location where large volumes of water won't cascade down on them. This can happen if they are stacked alongside of a shed, or house. And if possible, put a second palette down first and set them on that to elevate the palette further off the ground. Note, this will not stop mice and rodents from testing some of the lower bags or nesting under the stack.

I may sound a bit paranoid with pellets, but all of these things have happened to me. Eventually I just cleared out a spot in the garage and stored them in there.

I considered storing my pellets in our barn but decided I would store them in my shop which is essentially an above ground basement.

TK

I store in the garage, I use the pallet I get with the pellets and re-stack the same way they
come from the factory. Who wants to go out in the cold weather or rain, snow to get pellets, just go to the garage. I stored 3 tons this year ( I got a good deal)

My wife and I carried all of our pellets into the basement. It was either that, or my John Deere was going to have to sit outside all winter.

I have kept 3- 4 tons in my basement for the last three years. I have to man handle them in with the help of some of my friends. Last year I had a cast on my left hand so I was not much help loading them into my basement. My friend and I picked up ,unloaded by hand, 4 tons in two hours into my basement.

I keep them outside in the open, right by my back door. Haven't had a problem yet with them (knock on wood). Also cover each ton with one of those blue pallet tarps, in addition to the plastic.

Pellets are protected by heavy cover so they usually can stay outside for a bit, but
we take the bags off the pallets and stack them in our basement as soon as we get them
to get them off the sometimes wet & muddy pallets.

Status
Not open for further replies.