1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. CT-Mike

CT-Mike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New England
    I don't recall where I got the the plans, I believe it was one of the wood-working magazines. All the hardware came from Rockler. It was originally supposed to have a rounded top like an old steamer trunk, but the wife wanted it flat. I didn't complain because it made my job easier. I had to remove the lock from the trunk as my grandson kept locking it and I can't find the key.

That pic was taken two days ago, I still have the trim work to complete.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PoolGuyinCT

PoolGuyinCT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth CT

Copper washtub here to.. I store partial bags of pellets in mine. I don't dump them into the tub.
    I also keep various tools, newspaper, glass cleaner etc in mine.

My washtub was about $150 from a snooty antique shop. My parents bought it for me when the were "antiquing" on vacation.
    (You should see look on my pops face when he says "antiquing", poor guy)

So I returned the favor and bought them a copper washtub for their pellets, at the scrapyard. Only cost a fraction of the year end scalp run...

One mans trash one mans treasure...

Ray
  3. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    I like the copper tub Imacman...Good find!!
  4. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    I use this huge copper bin. It's not all pretty, but it holds alot, maybe three bags and I didn't pay for it. Whatever you use, get it as close to the stove as safely possible, and get it up off the floor. If I had to bend down to get the pellets out, this container would be useless to me. Raised up makes it so easy. I use a big scoop to top up the hopper. Scoop holds around 4lbs.
    [​IMG]
  5. ltlhawk

ltlhawk Member

Loc:
    Pelham, NH
    I do the same. One bag of pellets fills two Cat litter containers perfectly, so I sift one bag at a time and as I am buring a bag a day I fill the two containers each evening when I get home from work and it works out perfect.
  6. kenstogie

kenstogie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    For me, I like things simple because I am. Cut the corner of the bag and pour. I have a fairly large opening on my stove so thats easy. I can rarely (if ever) fit an entire bag in so the 1/4 bag just sits about 5 ft away to top off. Now I have about 35 empty pellet bags that for some reason I don't just throw away because I think there's a use for them.
    briansol likes this.
  7. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Take the whole, unopened bag of pellets and stand it up on the opening of the hopper. Then, take a knife or blade, and slowly slice the botton of the bag until the pellets fall out at a "Medium Pace" ;)
    Nuttin sweeter......NUTTIN!
  8. kenstogie

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    You know there's a Adam Sandler song (that is R rated) by that name. Good Idea, though. I'll try it.... well not what's in the song but the pellet thing that is. ;)
    briansol likes this.
  9. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Exactly where my mind went also!!
  10. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    rofl i loved that CD
  11. newf lover

newf lover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    I am a 55 year old woman who has no problem carrying bags up from the basement, moving 3 or 4 tons of pellets from out front to the basement etc., but I do have issues pouring the whole bag in. I lost my grip a couple times and had plastic from the bag melted on my stove. I received that Pellet Pail as a gift (let the mocking begin). I do a couple scoops to make it a little lighter, then easily pour it in. That thing is 5 years old, and I actually do like it.
    briansol likes this.
  12. kenstogie

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    Makes you look a shampoo bottle in different light, don't it?
    Eatonpcat likes this.