Pellet Stove - Air Restrictor Setting Question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I have an Avalon Astoria Free Standing Pellet Stove installed into the basement of my Split Entry home. It has a 4" flue going into a center chimney with an 8" flue up through the center of the house. I also have an OAK (Outside Air Kit) that is 15 feet flex aluminum 2" diameter pipe going up above the stove and out the back of the house just above the sill plate. (Walk out basement)
It runs fine and heats the whole house but I was windering what might be the best Air Restrictor setting(s)? The heat settings or auger feed rates vary from 1 - 6 where 6 is the highest. 1 = 1.7 lbs per hour and 6 = 5.5 lbs per hour.
Therefore:
Heat       Burn
Setting   Rate (Lbs/Hour)
   1          1.7
   2          2.46
   3          3.22
   4          3.98
   5          4.74
   6          5.5
The air restrictor settings run 1 - 5 where 1 is the lowest. When I have it running on heat setting or auger feed rate = 3 (approx 3.22 lbs per hour) I have the air restrictor on setting 2, changing this setting does not show much difference in the flame even thoug the manual shows there is a difference. If I open the restrictor too much the fire does go out after a while. I live in the NorthEast at approx sea level.
Does anyone have any experience or suggestions??
Thanks
Don

Attachments

• FinalPelStovePicScaled2.jpg
    FinalPelStovePicScaled2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 295
Don, I had the same stove last year before changing to the multi-fuel Englander this year, so I'm very familiar with the Astoria.

First of all, I know you said it "runs fine and heats the whole house", but a basement install requires an OAK increase to 3", especially since your's is so long. The 2" one you have now may be why you see no change in the flame when changing the air control....too much restriction in the airflow.

After that, the best way to set the air control is to start with a CLEAN stove. And I don't just mean vacuum the burn pot & firebox...I mean open & clean the ash traps, baffles, combustion blower, and all the exhaust pipe.

After you're SURE everything is nice & clean, run the stove on medium (first or 2nd yellow), and after the stove is up to temp, adjust the air control just as described in the manual....adjust the air control in or out until the burning pellets at the bottom of the burn pot just start "dancing' around a little. That's it.

On my Astoria, a clean stove resulted in my air control being between #1 1/2 and 2.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Thanks for the info, I will not go beyond 2 for the air restrictor.

Also is there anything else about the Astoria that you found? It seems to work good for all the pellet brands I tried so far.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.