Pellet stove Cleaning - Dusk Mask

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny1

Feeling the Heat
Oct 20, 2006
Eastern ON
I was wondering if others use a dusk mask when cleaning their pellet stoves.

The instruction manual for my stove didn't mention using one, but the cleaning guide stresses the importance of wearing a dust mask.

I have been using those disposable masks (NIOSH N95 type).

Do you use a mask? And if so, what type?

Kenny said:
I was wondering if others use
a dusk mask when cleaning their pellet stoves.

Do you use a mask? And if so, what type?

You bet I do....
First time cleaning the stove
I didn't but learned my lesson
after that.
Looks a little silly, but I just throw
on my paint respirator since I already
had it here and it provides excellent protection.
Probably would use something simpler if I didn't
already own this:
http://www.nextag.com/3M-Dual-Cartr...rices-html?nxtg=635d0a24050e-33376A8E257CE5CC

I don't use a mask. I use a Fein shop vacuum with a HEPA filter that traps down to a.02 micro particle. It is on when the door is opened and is within 2-4 inches of what ever I'm scraping or brushing. The big pieces fall down and are vacced up. The micro particles stay in the defined area and are sucked up by the shop vac. Mind you this is a high volume cleaner. Not the HD special. Funky looking, but they are designed for extreme use. Bought the unit to capture dust when turning exotic hardwoods on the lathe. Saved me a ton in treating sinus infections.

I'm not a pellethead, but I do use a mask when shoveling ashes out of my smoke dragon, or when dumping them outside.

My mask is an "AO Safety" brand, model #95190 "Woodworkers respirator" that I purchased from Harbor Freight. According to the package it is approved by NIOSH as a "N95 Particulate respirator, protects against non-oil containing dusts, fumes, and mists"

It has a rubber face mask with one intake and two exhaust ports, the intake has a large felt looking filter disk on it. It was fairly low cost, and I find it seals better and is more comfortable than those throwaway cup style paper masks. So far I've been using it all winter, and the filter is visibly dirty, but doesn't seem to be restricting my breathing any.

It probably doesn't do a perfect job, I have a beard, and the face fungus probably keeps the mask from sealing like it really should, but it's better than nothing, and judging from the way it feels, I'd estimate it has to be better than 95% effective at filtering out the crap.

Just because I was sitting here looking at it, I did decide to try rinsing the filter disk out with water, will see what that does next time I use the mask...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.