pellet stove efficiency ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lecomte38

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jun 6, 2008
Central Mass
Any know the real efficiency of a Harman insert? Trying to decide on oil vs pellets and the stove efficiency comes into play as well as the cost of electricity to run the pellet stove. I read the thread below but total BTUs must be factored by efficiency and electricity costs factored in. The oil burner is running at 86% efficiency

The Accentra 52i is listed at 85% according to Harman. Oddly enough the 35i doesn't say, but I imagine it would be similar. Electricity use is not listed but could be checked by using a killowatt or similar device.

Wow, I'm a little stunned at the XXV...only 76%?! Even Woodstock's Progress Hybrid woodstove beats that. Makes me think I should move the P61A (89% efficiency!) to the upstairs...don't think my other half would agree though.:rolleyes:

Is there a standard aproved way to measure efficiency? If it's left to the manufacturer to find by themself, the comparing between brands is probably of not much value!

Is there a standard aproved way to measure efficiency? If it's left to the manufacturer to find by themself, the comparing between brands is probably of not much value!
Yes, if you look at the label in the hopper it should say something like "Tested To ASTM ...". Those are the testing standards for electrical, safety, efficiency, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.