Pellet Stove - looking for suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acemics

Hearth Supporter
Oct 26, 2008
Stratford, CT
I have been reading the forums here for a few weeks now since we decided to look for a stove to supplement our gas furnace. My father in law has a wood stove that he heats his whole house with in Mid MA and my father has a pellet stove that he supplements heating his house with in Southern NY. After initially leaning toward a wood stove primarily for aesthetic reasons (the wood smell, the whole feel of wood experience) I think we are now going to go with a pellet stove due to the fact that they are easier to install, cleaner etc. I understand the downfall to the stove not working in the event of a power outage and the options to get around this (battery, generator).

Our house is approximately 2000 sq feet and the insulation is poor. Our first floor is pretty much an open floor plan and where we are thinking of putting the stove it should do a pretty good job of spreading the heat throughout the house. Our deliema is where the stove will be on our first floor is pretty much between our living room and dining room and is not in an out of the way place so we would like something that is not only a quality, functional heating device, but also something that appeals to our tastes on how it looks. We like how wood stoves look and like the look of the KOZI Previa and the Harmon XXV...something that is more traditional and not too industrial. Does anyone have any suggestions on a stove that would meet our needs to heat 2000 sq ft and meet our traditional tastes in how it looks?

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions!

Vin

Since you heat with natural gas, you are already using a relatively inexpensive fuel when compared to oil. Right now, pellets are being sold at around $300 dollars per ton which compares to oil at about $3 dollars per gallon. In RI, natural gas is well under this. If I were in your position, I would put my money into more insulation and new windows if the existing windows are old. A well insulated home will pay you back for a very long time with no added maintenance.

There are many different styles to appeal to any taste, as you may have seen with a little research. If you check them out a little more in depth, you will see that they have different BTU ratings, and will actually tell you what square footage they will heat. It may take a little more of checking around.

Paul
<a href=”www.pelletfireplaceblog.com>PelletFireplaceBlog</a>

I have a Lopi Yankee stove and overall I am happy with how it looks, it is fairly modern looking and displays nice in the living room. There are some other stove brands that have some fancy designs, but make sure you get one that has a solid heat output, some of the look really nice ones dont produce enough heat.

Same situation here.... Stove is centered between Dining Room and Family room...both of these and kitchen is open, and it sets across from the hallway to bedroom. 1st year with it, seems to be a good place for it. Part of the house is @100 yrs old so we were looking for the old time look as well. Got the XXV, our somewhat local dealers had Harman or Lennox. I think if your furnace is LP you will be saving some bucks, Natural gas not as much, but it is also like a piece of furniture. Mine is LP and has not been on yet. Just using @5 gals a week for hot water heater.

Mike J said:
Since you heat with natural gas, you are already using a relatively inexpensive fuel when compared to oil. Right now, pellets are being sold at around $300 dollars per ton which compares to oil at about $3 dollars per gallon. In RI, natural gas is well under this. If I were in your position, I would put my money into more insulation and new windows if the existing windows are old. A well insulated home will pay you back for a very long time with no added maintenance.

I have to agree with Mike J on this one , It's a little late in the game now to even get a pellet stove (very long backorder for most big name stoves) and your chances of getting pellets is even worst.
The 3 or 4K you'll spend on a stove and pellets would be much better spend on insulation and low-e windows.

bill

starspiker said:
I have to agree with Mike J on this one ,
The 3 or 4K you'll spend on a stove and pellets
would be much better spend on insulation and low-e windows.

X3 what Mike and Bill said. At this point nothing is going to pay back
like a well insulated home.

I believe you can still get Thelin Stoves without too much wait. Mine is in my avitar. My house is a 2000 sq ft 130 year old victorian. I put mine in the dining room.... next to the room we spend the most time in. The 3000 model is rated for about 2000 sq ft........ whatever that may really mean. My downstairs is very toasty. The upstairs can get down to 60 but I have really only run the stove on low and medium.

starspiker said:
Mike J said:

I have to agree with Mike J on this one , It's a little late in the game now to even get a pellet stove (very long backorder for most big name stoves) and your chances of getting pellets is even worst.
The 3 or 4K you'll spend on a stove and pellets would be much better spend on insulation and low-e windows.

bill

Bill and Mike are probably correct, I was thinking you already have access to the stoves you mentioned. Around here there are stoves and plenty of pellets to be had, which is probably not the case in your area.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but...

I agree with the others that buttoning up your home will get you the
biggest bang for your buck this winter. The stoves and Pellets are such a
hot commodity right now, they are scarce in many areas.
If you are lucky to find pellets right now, the prices are high.

Status
Not open for further replies.