Pellet stove newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJDave

Nov 20, 2014
Wa State
I wanted to say Hello. Long time lurker on this forum.
We just swapped out our woodstove with a new pellet stove. We have been talking about it for years and finally did it.
The installer did a great job plumbing into the old woodstove chimney. He gave us the choice of having bends in the pipe near the ceiling, or having the new stove sit a little more forward to keep the vent pipe straight. We chose the latter.
So far, after one week, I couldn't be happier.
I just picked up a ton of pellets after testing a couple different brands. Hours of splitting and stacking a cord of wood vs 15 minutes pulling bags out of the pickup.
I can't believe I waited so long to do this.

Looks great! Does the door hang over the wood floor when open?

Nice job...Can't tell from the pic, but make sure you plug that bad boy into a surge protector...if you found some pellets you like GET MORE!! One ton isn't much to have...

Reactions: TJDave
Looks great! Does the door hang over the wood floor when open?

Yes. Just a little. Is that a problem? I'm new at this.
The stove sits back 8" from the edge of the hearth. 6" is the manufacturer's clearance.

As long as you are within manufactures specs you are golden!

Just be careful when opening the door .. as ash usually builds up on small ledges on the inside of the door.
I don't know as I've ever had a hot ember on there, but possible, I suppose.

Nice, clean, install!

I wanted to say Hello. Long time lurker on this forum.
We just swapped out our woodstove with a new pellet stove. We have been talking about it for years and finally did it.
The installer did a great job plumbing into the old woodstove chimney. He gave us the choice of having bends in the pipe near the ceiling, or having the new stove sit a little more forward to keep the vent pipe straight. We chose the latter.
So far, after one week, I couldn't be happier.
I just picked up a ton of pellets after testing a couple different brands. Hours of splitting and stacking a cord of wood vs 15 minutes pulling bags out of the pickup.
I can't believe I waited so long to do this.

Beautiful!! Consider adding a bit of hearth in front tho. Maybe step halfway down and another six inches or so on the front three sides? Gotta protect that beautiful floor and yes, on occasion you do get an ember out there.

My stove also sits back 6" and I have no problems..You only open the door when the stove is shut down..

My stove also sits back 6" and I have no problems..You only open the door when the stove is shut down..
Maybe you don't ...... I pull ash off the firebox lip a few times a day while underway.

Last edited:
There may or may not be a pellet shaped burn mark on my wood floor in front of my stove. ::P. I actually just started making a hearth for mine. Haha

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies and suggestions.

I will be getting a surge protector and look into something for front.

Maybe one of those pads cut down to the shape of the hearth?

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.

I will be getting a surge protector and look into something for front.

Maybe one of those pads cut down to the shape of the hearth?
Just clear it with the wife and you can't go wrong!==c

Ill do a 10 second vacuuming every couple of days while the stove runs with my ash vac.

I open mine daily running at wherever it is flame wise to scrape the pot. Doesn't matter but it's on stone tile all around. Hardwood is an entirely different animal with fire. It can be repaired though but what fun is that?
Hot stuff hasn't come out on me yet but it very well could. I put on long leather welding gloves and give it hell! <> Used to scorched hair, eye lashes, and brows from the Woodmaster OWB Pig I have had out back for a decade. That thing redefines being an overly active wood cutting slave. It does an excellent job but it eats some wood. A LOT! 8 to 12 cords per season.

When I have to go it gets loaded up no matter how hot it's burning. Burnt hair stinks real bad and mine is always very short. You should be all right if you let your stove completely cool down but we all have those not so wise moments from time to time. Hence, the scorched hair. A pad might get a bit pricey doing the little you need to do and if you cut it like your saying forget the resale value. I'd follow F4's suggestion and do a step down and get tile to match existing. I think that would look cool myself. Cheaper than a high dollar pad also.

So Welcome TJDave! Dude you hit the nail on the head about saying I wished I had done this long ago vs. being a cord wood jockey. My words almost exactly a month ago.Tell me again how much you love those clean, neat, easy to carry and stack 40 pounders again? Don't know why I didn't do this when I put that beast out back into service other than I was clueless about pellet stoves. Only thing I knew was that I had a cousin that hated the one he had back then. He's a mechanic and a smart guy and never could get his working correctly. Broke down regularly. He was tired of it and literally gave it away. So with his situation I new nothing but that. Now I am an eduMAcated fool! :)

Nice looking set up by the way. You will be loving life if you are transitioning from cord wood. Looks like the only downfall is the really big Honey Do List now that you have so much time on your hands. Good Luck with that one if you are married!;)

Yes. Happily married.
I researched stoves and narrowed it down to 3 that I liked, and had good reviews.
Then, I brought her to see them, and she picked.
I do that a lot. My little secret to a happy marriage! Lol.

I do like F4's step idea also, but I would surely mess that up. I have a friend that is a carpenter and can lay tile. I will have him look at it.
Working on my Jeep is my form of entertainment, so the added maintenance with the new stove isn't a problem.

Yes bags, I definitely will not miss this!

Reactions: bags
I've had several jeeps over the years. Two older CJ-5's and a CJ-7. Sold my last one in 2000. Too many toys ad not enough space back then. Best convertible made IMO. Doors off and all. Late 70's and early 80's were not the best daily drivers but I always had another car, motorcycle, and pickup truck. Then I got into the boating scene until five or so years ago. Then three kids........... need I say more. Never realized how much free time and cash I used to have.:eek: My CJ's were my weekenders! Wish I had kept one. To get a nice one now that age you had better bring some big money to the table. I have built my motorcycle arsenal back up in the last year. Not much time to ride though. In fact back in 1999 we did an 18,000 mile trip and rode for 2 months. I was younger and single then. I was coming up PCH 1 from California (rode the entire west coast) and got pulled over in I believe South Bend WA. We had left Coos Bay OR and were trying to make it to Seattle before dark. Needless to say, I passed a cop doing 95 in a 50 or 55 MPH. He didn't even get me clocked as I flew past. He was down off to the right behind some brush. He got my friend clocked at 80 since he saw my brakes lights fly on. He asked how fast I was going an luckily I said about 85. He gave us a warning and said slow down. Then started joking about us being from KY and having shoes on. Then he made some suggestions of things to see while out there. I thought I was going to jail because of how high over I was. Lucky!

Looks like you still have one pile to move unless you already have.

Sorry for the off topic thread jack and again, Welcome! Many good peeps around here. Helpful ones at that. No need to reinvent the wheel if you need to learn something.

Nice set-up TJ ... I'm sure you'll come up with solution on your hearth pad. How big a house are you heating? Main source of heat?

You and bags made me do the walk down memory lane of the outdoor wood boiler - singed hair and eyelashes from the heat :eek:. Not sure how many jackets and gloves I've ruined... Smashed my hand so bad one night, I bent a ring ... mad scramble to the house to make sure I could get it off before any swelling! I'm right with you about life being easier unloading bags of pellets...

Thanks. The house is 2600 sf. The stove is in the living room, and the ceiling is open to the upstairs where the bedrooms are.
The old wood stove had a slightly higher BTU rating. But, choked down to a low smolder, our heat pump rarely kicked on.
The new pellet stove is rated for 2000 sf. On setting 2 of 5, the house stays at 72 degrees. Heat pump is set to go on at 69. Temps have been in the high teens to mid twenties all week.
So far so good. Waiting for the next Arctic blast to cruise down from Canada!

Hello All,

Figured this is as good a thread as any to make my first post. I'm new to the pellet game as well. Self-installed Harman XXV w/ OAK in mid-October. I'm extremely happy with the change. Only had propane furnace last year, and couldn't afford another winter with it. Heating about 2200 sq ft, 1-story ranch house. Have not tried any extra circulations fans in the house but still impressed with the stove's ability to keep the back bedrooms tolerable when temps dipped to single digits last week. Looking forward to picking up more tips and tricks on this forum and enjoy seeing everyone's setups!

You're doing pretty well heating that much space and the open plan helps for the upper level. I was out at Ft. Lewis years back so I kind of know the weather and area somewhat. What I can remember anyway. I remember those damn "fire ants" and the mountains of pine needles too! There's a lot of good newer architecture up there IMO in the homes. Have you been experiencing below average temps? Lake Girl needs to keep that cold stuff up there where it belongs!::-)

Yes. Happily married.
I researched stoves and narrowed it down to 3 that I liked, and had good reviews.
Then, I brought her to see them, and she picked.
I do that a lot. My little secret to a happy marriage! Lol.

I do like F4's step idea also, but I would surely mess that up. I have a friend that is a carpenter and can lay tile. I will have him look at it.
Working on my Jeep is my form of entertainment, so the added maintenance with the new stove isn't a problem.

Yes bags, I definitely will not miss this!
Yes ... those are some mighty big 'pellets'! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.