1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pellet stove pipe connection

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jonw440, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonw440

jonw440 New Member

I changed our stove pipe from 6" down to double walled 3 Simons duravent.
    I can not get the pipe onto my Harmon P61A. It only goes on about 2 inches. I think the tabs are keeping it from going on further.(The tabs lock into the next piece, but since the pellet stove has a smooth exhaust hookup it seems to small)
    I have tried tapping it with a rubber mallet but I dont want to crush the pipe. Any suggestions?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tundraSQ

tundraSQ New Member

On my Harmon XXV there was a "special" 3" pipe t hat had locking grooves on one side, and on the side that met the stove it was smooth. My pipe is Simpson duravent, I can get you the pipe number if you think that is what you need.
  3. jonw440

jonw440 New Member

I brought the piece to my dealer and he slid it on the showroom P61. I guess it doesn't go all the way on. I will be using high temp silicone around the seam anyway.
    The part number on the pipe I am using is 3006B.
    Could you still provide the part number on yours?
    Thanks!
  4. tundraSQ

tundraSQ New Member

Yes it is called a stove starter and is number 3079. the XXV has a cast iron fitting on the back of the stove...this might be different than yours.
  5. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

Simpson offers a stove adapter, talk to your dealerto order one.
  6. TedNH

TedNH Member

Loc:
    Surry NH
    You can either put standard pellet pipe on the collar on the stove OR you can use the starter pipe. The angle of my install wouldnt allow me to use the starter as it moved the 45* elbow to far away from the stove. If your doing a corner install it will be hard to use the 45* & the starter pipe.
    I put the 45* directly onto the collar of the stove, used silicone inside the 2 parts of the pipe and slid it on the collar. Then smeared the outside of the joint with silicone. So far so good.
  7. TedNH

TedNH Member

Loc:
    Surry NH
    This is another members posted photo but you get the idea. If the starter collar was used here the stove would be a further 3-4" out from the wall.
    Harmans manual states that it is not necessary to use the starter pipe.

Attached Files:

8. jonw440

jonw440 New Member

Thanks guys for the replies!
    I sealed the inner pipe, the collar then slid the starter pipe on. Then smeared the outside.
    Tomorrow after the silicon as cured I will wrap the joint with aluminum foil high temp tape.
    I guess it is better to over seal then to wake up dead from C.O. poisoning........ :)
  9. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

Since pellet vent runs at neutral or negative pressure, you won't have any CO problems, the silicone is used to prevent flyash leakage.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.