Pellet stove pipe vertical clearance, please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dcott1

Jan 22, 2021
Riverton wy)
Screenshot_20210122-201921_Google.jpg

I'm installing a pellet stove in my basement with 4" pellet stove vent. What is the vertical clearance to combustibles above the horizontal section? I would think it's greater than the 2" noted for vertical pipe?

Your local code official should have that info. Also the manual for what ever stove you have has the venting requirements and configurations.

Pelletvent Pro is only 1" clearance to combustibles/building material. The outside of the pipe doenst not get that hot. I just shot my pipe pipe right at the outlet of the stove and it only reads 130F. The front door reads 301F. And it is only 13F here this AM so the stove is pushing pretty hard.

Your local code official should have that info. Also the manual for what ever stove you have has the venting requirements and configurations.
You would think it was in the book, but I can't find it in the book, or any Google search for that matter

what make and model stove?

pages 1-15 have all requirements to follow. pg 5 instructs you to contact you building code enfocement person. and vent mfg for clearances

manual

Only thing I know of is clearance to nearest combustibles. My instructions say 6" minimum between exit and over head eaves outside, but nothing shown for inside before exiting except that inch to nearest combustibles rule. If passing through a wall, use the thimble deal. If going through a ceiling, it gets a thimble too.
DuraVent’s PelletVent is listed by
Underwriters Laboratories as a vent for
listed oil-, pellet-, (multi-fuel) appliances.
PelletVent is also listed as a masonry reliner,
in which case the minimum clearance is
0” from vent to masonry, and 0” clearance
from the masonry to nearby combustibles.
Never fill any required clearance space
with insulation or any other materials
(except insulation explicitly approved by
DuraVent as noted below
). Combustible
materials include (but are not limited to)
lumber, plywood,sheetrock, plaster and lath,
furniture, curtains, electrical wiring, and
building insulation except that noted below.
The minimum clearance to combustibles
from PelletVent is 1” for oil, pellet or other
approved fuels.
A major cause of vent
related fires is failure to maintain required
clearances (air spaces) to combustible
materials. It is of the utmost Importance
that double wall pellet vent be installed
only in accordance with these Instructions.

You would think it was in the book, but I can't find it in the book, or any Google search for that matter
The pipe manufacturer designates clearances. The stove mfg company dont make the pipe. So if you are using Selkirk they have those specs. Duravent has there own specs ect.

Reactions: tbear853