pellet stove settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One last question. I forgot to ask tech on phone. If it indeed was burning to hot for the stove wouldn't the safety features chit it down and give an error? Again the area I am heating is only approx 600 Sq feet. 642 to be exact. Attached to garage. Raised ranch home. Big family room , hallway and a bathroom down here. It was extremely hot down because of the small area although i would never and did mot take any chances I think stove could handle the burning like on heat range 9 . It was just way to much for the small area. I assume it woukd gave shut itself down if was really more heat and burning tgan the stove coukd handle. Am I correct? Again I had abd have mo intentions of ever finding out but jyst wondering if things on board for feeding hot screwed up would the heat safety still kick on if was hotter than it coukd handle. Any comments appreciated.

One last question. I forgot to ask tech on phone. If it indeed was burning to hot for the stove wouldn't the safety features chit it down and give an error? Again the area I am heating is only approx 600 Sq feet. 642 to be exact. Attached to garage. Raised ranch home. Big family room , hallway and a bathroom down here. It was extremely hot down because of the small area although i would never and did mot take any chances I think stove could handle the burning like on heat range 9 . It was just way to much for the small area. I assume it woukd gave shut itself down if was really more heat and burning tgan the stove coukd handle. Am I correct? Again I had abd have mo intentions of ever finding out but jyst wondering if things on board for feeding hot screwed up would the heat safety still kick on if was hotter than it coukd handle. Any comments appreciated.
In next year or 2 I plan on upgrading to a newer model . Love this syove and the pellet concept.

If you are in mode D, the factory setting for pdvc. I believe the overtemp limit is 400 degrees. D modes high limit is actually higher than mode C as it was explained to me. Problem is the stove needs to gets severely hellish hot in order for the probe on back to reach that temp. I tried to get mine hot to see if it would shut down. i got tired of sitting there with a ir thermometer on the probe and it never came close

If you are in mode D, the factory setting for pdvc. I believe the overtemp limit is 400 degrees. D modes high limit is actually higher than mode C as it was explained to me. Problem is the stove needs to gets severely hellish hot in order for the probe on back to reach that temp. I tried to get mine hot to see if it would shut down. i got tired of sitting there with a ir thermometer on the probe and it never came close
Lol. Sounds like watching paint dry, if this is true then how safe is this thing? 400 degrees is quite high abd I just hooked where probe is. So far away. It can be 800 in burn area befire 400 gets back there. I've always felt safe with it. Given the amount I burn per season n cleaning I do I feel pretty safe. Even when was 95 degrees down here I never felt unsafe although I did turn it off. Dudnt wabt taje any chances . It was just confused. After the rest ibturned it to 9 and got about same flame and heat. Onky let it run half hour and turned it back to 2, my standard heat setting. I'm also curious why most models low burn air are 4 or 5 and mine is 1. Factory is 6 1 1 for 2002 pdvc . I'm wondering if more air 6 3 1 would be colder or hotter. Not going to touch it ever again but just things I'm curious about now tgat I've read so much about these stoves the last few days. Looking forward to new upgrade in coming year or 2. One tgat lights on its own :). Love this stove. Best 398.00 us I ever spent. Was originally 1000 usd. I caught it out side of my eye in april 2003 while I was at lowes shopping for plants. I had never seen one of these. 398 was end of season blow out deal sale and I decided to buy it for my basement. Great purchase. I've only spent 150 in all these years for repairs. So in total I've spent 548 dollars for the unit and . It paid itself off years ago but time for a new one. This is pretty loud. Always has been but for the price and durability I can't complain. Noise and manually starting it is getting to me these days. I want a mid - grade quieter unit. Would love the Cadillac but can't justify that to heat 648 Sq feet. Lol

I may however move this one to my garage when buy new one. Currently use kerosene in garage n tgat unit is getting old. Last wick I replaced is this winter. Once done this baby is gone too. 7 years for $ 69 not bad either. Keeps garage 50 to 55 . I hate being cold.

When pellet stove was going wack last few days I kept door from basement to garage open for hour or so while i tweaked buttons . . Was almost enough to get garage to 50 degrees. I kerp garage well insukated. Great doors etc. Just an idea of how much heat this pellet stove was putting out cause of me touching those buttons. I'm guessing 1 bag pellets woukd gave lasted about 4 or 5 hours tops if I let it run that way. Thank goodness for this site and the people. Not much info on Google searches. 99% of search results directed me here

Maybe I don't need new one if can figure out why it's so loud. Minute I turn it on before toom air blower turns on it is very loud. What is tgat sound ? Air intake or exhaust? I replaced top auger 2 years after I bought it was told it had a defect but that didbt help the noise. No idea how explain noise. It's Just loud my wife Hayes this thing . Keeps her out of my man cave though.

As far as being safe with high heat, these stoves are made out of good thick steel. Especially ours. Mine is a 2000. It takes alot to actually heat them to a dangerous point.
I wouldnt worry too much in that aspect as long as its running right.

For the lower 3 buttons being 6 1 1 they made small design changes in and around 2002 i believe.

Im pretty sure the higher lba settings on newer stoves is to account for the more and larger holes in the burn pot. Which was required to meet new emission standards.

You say you wont touch those buttons again but i was having to change the lff regularly depending on which brand pellets i burnt. Thats what the buttons are for, fine tuning.

I replaced mine a couple weeks ago with a newer used stove. Only because i couldnt pass up the deal. A 2008 enviro evolution. Nice stove. For $300 i couldnt let it slide by. I got all venting and a loveless ash vac included. Sometimes even i get lucky. But i am not getting rid of the englander. Its a tank.

Your loud noise you talk about could very well and most likely be the combustion blower. If you search around and shop you can get a new one fairly cheap. Even if its not "englander" specific just make sure the dimensions and rotation are the same. Most stoves use pretty much the same.

Stay warm but stay safe

As far as being safe with high heat, these stoves are made out of good thick steel. Especially ours. Mine is a 2000. It takes alot to actually heat them to a dangerous point.
I wouldnt worry too much in that aspect as long as its running right.Ex
I wouldnt worry too much in that aspect as long as its running right.

For the lower 3 buttons being 6 1 1 they made small design changes in and around 2002 i believe.

Im pretty sure the higher lba settings on newer stoves is to account for the more and larger holes in the burn pot. Which was required to meet new emission standards.

You say you wont touch those buttons again but i was having to change the lff regularly depending on which brand pellets i burnt. Thats what the buttons are for, fine tuning.

I replaced mine a couple weeks ago with a newer used stove. Only because i couldnt pass up the deal. A 2008 enviro evolution. Nice stove. For $300 i couldnt let it slide by. I got all venting and a loveless ash vac included. Sometimes even i get lucky. But i am not getting rid of the englander. Its a tank.

Your loud noise you talk about could very well and most likely be the combustion blower. If you search around and shop you can get a new one fairly cheap. Even if its not "englander" specific just make sure the dimensions and rotation are the same. Most stoves use pretty much the same.

Stay warm but stay safe
Excellent, makes sense on the lfa for larger burn pots and I agree this baby is a tank thanks for this info I already looked into and found cheaper brand new combustion blower that will work with my unit. Purchased! Hope it helps the noise if mot I got a new combustion blower for very cheap. Thanks again. This baby is running great again.

Stay warm but stay safe

Excellent. Thanks so much for the info on everything. Just purchased combustion blower. Hopefully noise calms down. Been noisy since day one . I will post results when receive and install. No doubt it's a tank. Great deal for me too. Congrats on ut deal. Excellent. Even if I get a new stove in future I plan on keeping this tank too.

Day 3 after call to englander Support and this baby still burning great. Perfect timing to get it running correctly again. It's 3 degrees outside -25 wind chill and still dropping Have it on 2/2 . Toasty 70 degrees . Had it a bit higher earlier while watching hockey game. 3/3 . Was 5 degrees outside. 74 degrees inside . She's running great. Did I mention I will never touch those 3 buttons on the bottom ever AGAIN.. combustion blower scheduled to arrive on 2/21. I'll advise if it helped noise situation. Always been noisy, over 10 years of this noise. Hope it works. If not oh well. Was very inexpensive. Thanks everyone! !

Status
Not open for further replies.