Pellet stove venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdogg88

Feb 24, 2014
PA
Hello all, I'm new to the site, and pellet stoves. I've been doing a ton of research on this site and others the info is great, so a big thanks!! I just picked up a used quadra fire castile pellet stove on craigslist for a decent price. I have a spot in the house where I would like to install it but it is close to a window (about a foot away). The install manual it came with, said that the exhaust needs to terminate 4ft away from the window. They also have a line graph that has information based on your elevation how many feet you can use. According to my elevation I can use about 24ft of total vent pipe, there is also an equivalent foot amount for 90's and 45 degree angles. What I'm looking to do is bring the pipe straight out through the thimble then from there put a tee, go away from the window 48 inches then put anther tee go up 60 inches put a 45 at the top and terminate. If i go by the manual I'll have a total of about 21 feet.

According to manual
90's = 5ft
45's = 3ft
horizontal pipe 1ft = 1ft
vertical pipe 2ft = .5ft

As I mentioned this going according the the install manual, please let me know your thoughts thanks.

Local dealer told me they make a contraption that allows you to be able to put it 18" from a window. That being said I did not go with the $70 piece, mine is vented 3' from a window pointing in the opposite direction.
Here is a thought I do not open window when pellet stove is running !!!:confused:;hm

Hello all, I'm new to the site, and pellet stoves. I've been doing a ton of research on this site and others the info is great, so a big thanks!! I just picked up a used quadra fire castile pellet stove on craigslist for a decent price. I have a spot in the house where I would like to install it but it is close to a window (about a foot away). The install manual it came with, said that the exhaust needs to terminate 4ft away from the window. They also have a line graph that has information based on your elevation how many feet you can use. According to my elevation I can use about 24ft of total vent pipe, there is also an equivalent foot amount for 90's and 45 degree angles. What I'm looking to do is bring the pipe straight out through the thimble then from there put a tee, go away from the window 48 inches then put anther tee go up 60 inches put a 45 at the top and terminate. If i go by the manual I'll have a total of about 21 feet.

According to manual
90's = 5ft
45's = 3ft
horizontal pipe 1ft = 1ft
vertical pipe 2ft = .5ft

As I mentioned this going according the the install manual, please let me know your thoughts thanks.

If the stove will be next to the window... can you go straight up to 12 inches higher than the top of the window? The last bullet says the termination must be not less than 12" above the window.

Wsar10 I'd like to know what that contraption is... The only reason I want to keep it away from the window is that I will be pulling a permit and I wasn't too be sure I follow all instructions to the tee.

Swine flue if I go out then up a for above the window I don't need to be 4 ft away? I understood that it has to be 4ft away no matter what.

Thanks for your quick responses!

I think swine is right,if your end was 12" above window,good to go,BUT local codes over ride everything.Call local inspector before doing,purchasing!

Reactions: SwineFlue
Swine flue if I go out then up a for above the window I don't need to be 4 ft away? I understood that it has to be 4ft away no matter what.

The section is titled "Vent Termination", and part 2 says
Distance from doors and opening windows, or gravity or
ventilation air inlets into building:
a. Not less than 48 inches (1.2m) below;
b. Not less than 48 inches (1.2m) horizontally from;
c. Not less than 12 inches (305mm) above

I read them as an 'or', but my reading is not important... your local code enforcer and homeowners insurance are. To me it says it's OK as long as it's at least 12" above the top of the window, but you really need to confirm it with them! Eliminating that 48" horizontal run would really simplify your vent.

The section is titled "Vent Termination", and part 2 says
Distance from doors and opening windows, or gravity or
ventilation air inlets into building:
a. Not less than 48 inches (1.2m) below;
b. Not less than 48 inches (1.2m) horizontally from;
c. Not less than 12 inches (305mm) above

I read them as an 'or', but my reading is not important... your local code enforcer and homeowners insurance are. To me it says it's OK as long as it's at least 12" above the top of the window, but you really need to confirm it with them! Eliminating that 48" horizontal run would really simplify your vent.
Yes and I don't know about Quad but Harman really frowns on a 48" horizontal at all. they much prefer that you keep any horizontal run to 2 ft or less.. This is what finally convinced me to go all the way up my chimney instead of out the back of my unused fireplace. In the OP's case, I'd go straight up inside and out above that window. You also have to watch for eve hang over distance and any attic venting as well. Or go out next to and below the window, run a vertical up 12-15 inches above the height of the window. Then the pipe is outdoors and to the side of the window.

Wsar10 I'd like to know what that contraption is... The only reason I want to keep it away from the window is that I will be pulling a permit and I wasn't too be sure I follow all instructions to the tee.

Thanks for your quick responses!
Not sure, call your local stove dealer and ask. When we were looking at stoves, I had a question about the same thing and the dealer told me he can get around that and with this part I could be 18" from a window.

Great info!! I talked to the local inspector and it didnt seem like he really had an idea. At first he said I had to terminate the vent above my roof. Then reminded him that it was a pellet stove not a wood stove. So then he says I need to go by the install manual. Swineflu, thats how I read the manual as well, which would be perfect. The inspector is going to come over next week to my house and we're going to take a look at the manual together and he'll give me the green light to start installing.

If i did come straight out and then terminate above the window I would be about 15-20 inches away from the window and it would be so much easier guess I'll have to wait to see what the inspector says.

The whole vent pipe out of the stove from 3" to 4" diameter. What the manual say you can use 3" or 4"? But either way 48" horizontal is a very BAD thing.

ooo diameter ok... well it uses a 3 inch diameter for about 22ft according to my elevation and the chart in the manual.

Below the limit on that chart allows for either 3 or 4 inch pipe. Above it, requires 4 inch pipe. You are pretty close to that limit. If you have to go with that long horizontal run, use 4" diameter pipe. It will better tolerate the inevitable ash buildup. I think 3 inch pipe will give you headaches down the road.

See my post in this thread with bold "rule of thumb" ... https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/harman-invincible-insert.124770/#post-1676028
Usually anything over 15 EVL, it is better to use 4" diameter venting.

The "contraption" you are referring to is an OAK - outside air kit. In my manual it is highlighted in a box that states you can reduce clearances to doors or windows to 18" when using an OAK. i.e. Harman PC45 manual:

The clearance to a window or door that may be opened
must be a minimum of 48" to the side, 48" below the
window/door, and 12" above the window/door. (With
outside air installed clearances are 18”to the side,
18" below the window/door, and 9" above the window/
door.
)

Some manufacturers do not have this statement in the manual so it doesn't apply to that stove. I can't get a hold of the Castile manual on-line so can't refer you to what page that reference is on - if it is there at all.

Good luck with the install...

For best performance, you need to clean internal exhaust pathways in the stove and external venting after every ton burned...

Reactions: SwineFlue
The 48" may still cause a problem with smoke smell, even though the manual says its fine, try to avoid it best as you can from experience.

See my post in this thread with bold "rule of thumb" ... https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/harman-invincible-insert.124770/#post-1676028

The "contraption" you are referring to is an OAK - outside air kit. In my manual it is highlighted in a box that states you can reduce clearances to doors or windows to 18" when using an OAK. i.e. Harman PC45 manual:

door.
)

Some manufacturers do not have this statement in the manual so it doesn't apply to that stove. I can't get a hold of the Castile manual on-line so can't refer you to what page that reference is on - if it is there at all.

I quoted the Quad clearances above. Even though Quad and Harman are both HHT companies, an OAK does not ease the clearances on a Quad.

FYI, all Quad manuals are at: http://www.quadrafire.com/Owner-Resources/Install-and-Owners-Manuals.aspx under installation manuals, I think

OAK info is on page 17 - metal flex pipe... no mention of reduced clearances anywhere.

Either 48" beside or 12" above window/door. That will often take you too close to the eaves as you need 24" from combustibles at pipe termination ... set-up depends on your particular structure.

door.
)

That makes sense, because the guy said "we have a KIT you can use.......".

Status
Not open for further replies.