Pellet Stoves and Property Taxes - Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john193

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2010
Southeast PA
Hi Folks.

Our county tax assessor will be making a visit to my home tomorrow to assess our basement. The lady who will be coming called me today to let me know of her arrival and also mentioned that she will inspect the pellet stove for property taxes (they found out I had it because I got a permit through my town - stupid, stupid, stupid!!). I didnt question her, but a part of me said WTF!

Is this legitimate? I own a Harman XXV free standing stove. Can this really increase my property taxes?

UPDATE**

Thank you for the input everyone. I meant to post sooner but couldn't get around to it. Apparently, like someone here mentioned, they were only coming out to confirm that a stove was installed. The tax assessor confirmed that the pellet stove would not impact my property taxes.

well, it does add value to your home. If you listed it, I am sure one of the things you would put in to sell would be "pellet stove", so I guess they cann... although I agree it is total BS

I think I might actually take the time to pull it out of the house and store it unseen and say you sold it because you didn't care for it. Then put it back in before winter. That's BS if they increase your taxes on a money saving appliance.

Meneillys Woodland Products said:
I think I might actually take the time to pull it out of the house and store it unseen and say you sold it because you didn't care for it. Then put it back in before winter. That's BS if they increase your taxes on a money saving appliance.

I agree

Government isn't the solution to the problem...government IS the problem...

In my area Tax Assessors cannot come on your property unless invited, and therefore must do their accessments from the curb seeing whatever they can see. If that's true in your area just disinvite her.

Since your took out a permit a codes inspector can certainly ask to see the install. Maybe this lady has some kind of dual role.

Otherwise this sounds kinda shakey.

dac122 said:
In my area Tax Assessors cannot come on your property unless invited, and therefore must do their accessments from the curb seeing whatever they can see. If that's true in your area just disinvite her.

Since your took out a permit a codes inspector can certainly ask to see the install. Maybe this lady has some kind of dual role.

Otherwise this sounds kinda shakey.

I agree, if the law states they can't come in unless invited, DON"T INVITE THEM. The building permit and original plans are the device by which they can determine what's in your house.

You folks do understand that some states require you to annually file a complete list of your real estate holdings in each taxing jurisdiction you have real estate in and that further if you don't the jurisdiction can value your property in a manner that isn't in your best interest.

For example a house that has low quality fixtures, flooring, windows, etc can be legally valued by the jurisdiction as top of the line.

This will make a huge difference in your tax bill.

The last thing you want to do is make the tax assessor mad at you.

I think we need to have higher taxes for all working folks who make changes in their lifestyles in order to save money on heat, go green and save the enviroment. If we tax those fools enough, they'll stop their silly ways and just go back to using fossil fuels.

A pellet stove is an appliance. I do not understand how they can tax it. But then again you live in a Common Wealth and PA makes up taxes as they go along.

I would disconnect it from the wall and the venting so it does not work. What will they do then?

Eric

For starters they will attach a value to the hearth it was sitting on.

Which is likely the real reason they wish to see it.

But what would I know being a woodland critter.

They had mine listed as a hearth on my assessment card. I argued that it was not a built in hearth but a portable device that could be removed, much like a refrigerator. They removed it from the assessment.

Here in my neck of the woods we don't have a personal property tax. If you have a permanent improvement to your property it will be assessed on your real estate tax... for instance a PORTABLE garden shed on skids isn't taxed but one bolted to a slab would be... a concrete driveway is a taxed improvement but an asphalt drive is not...

My stove isn't taxed thank God... at least not yet.

The good old saying applies! 2 things we can always count on "death and taxes"!

Reading between the lines I get(in other words) "being taxed to death"!

Pellet stove? what pellet stove....I do have this very exotic looking plant stand right here. Problem solved, they can't tax you for a plant stand can they?

I imagine your stove would be treat the same as your appliances.
The hearth (if permanent) and pipe going thru the wall may be considered part of the real estate becuase they are fixed in place.

If they do tax the stove, I would tell them it is a used Englander you picked up for $200.

My town applies an $800 value to the crappy old brick hearth (cracked and falling off the wall) we have the stove on.

Around here wood stoves with no fossil furnace results in lower value becouse a lot of buyers don't want to deal with wood.

I would make the argument that it is a space heater, not a permanent installation, and you plan to take it with you when you move, just like your TV, Stereo, Refridge, Washer/Dryer, portable AC, and anything else NOT "hardwired" to your home.
Mike -

krooser said:
Here in my neck of the woods we don't have a personal property tax. If you have a permanent improvement to your property it will be assessed on your real estate tax... for instance a PORTABLE garden shed on skids isn't taxed but one bolted to a slab would be... a concrete driveway is a taxed improvement but an asphalt drive is not...

Don't get me started on "Personal Property Tax"!! In my neck of the woods (WV) we have a Personal Property Tax. This means we pay tax on our cars, boats, motorcycles, trailers, etc. every year. You don't pay, you don't get a license plate renewal sticker.

By me they put an assestment/increase was $35.00 a year. an annnoyance at best/worst. considering I pay over $5000 in property taxes, the affect was minimal, not worth argueing over. They didn't come in to reasses, they based it on the permit. I tried to not get a permit when I redid my deck, and got caught (nosey neighbors I think) but what are you going to do, government, you can't live with em and you can't shoot em.

JRB said:
.... but what are you going to do, government, you can't live with em and you can't shoot em.

Sure you can and that is exactly how we did it for exactly the same reason (taxes) not so many years ago.

Panhandler said:
krooser said:

Don't get me started on "Personal Property Tax"!! In my neck of the woods (WV) we have a Personal Property Tax. This means we pay tax on our cars, boats, motorcycles, trailers, etc. every year. You don't pay, you don't get a license plate renewal sticker.

dontcha love those? we got them here in Maine... you pay a tax on the "value" of your vehicle, watercraft, atv, etc every year. Of course, thats on top of the sales tax you pay when you get the thing. But it keeps on gettin ya, every year, 'just cause you have a vehicle.....

Panhandler said:
krooser said:

Believe me the Dumb A's in Madison make up for it in other ways... not being political but last year I heard one state lawmaker tell his supporters at a anti-Tea Party rally that 'only lawmakers should be able to have an input on the state budget because the common man isn't schooled very well in finance'... but we are schooled in in how to vote!

Obnoxious bast**ds...

Keep it installed.

If your house ever burns down from the stove and its not been permitted, your insurance claim may be void. On the same topic, your insurance company should know about it.

A recent case just went around here in a similar fashion.

a 2-family house burned down, but the owner added the attic as a 3'rd apartment without pulling any permits/etc. the 3rd floor cought on fire and burned the house down. Then, 2 firefighters died in the process of putting it out, so a huge investigate ensued. Now the owner has the chance of going to jail for manslaughter.

It sounds absurd, but its the world we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.