Pellets and Insulation Comments - My Experience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WNCBear

Jan 10, 2013
Asheville, NC
My comments are applicable on any of the forums, but since I burn pellets, I'll post them here. Apologies in advance to the moderators if misplaced.

Long story made short...house built in 2005 with dual fuel (elec./propane) heat...winter season propane and electricity bills were killing my wallet three years ago ($3,000+/-)...added pellet stove prior to last winter...burned a little over 5 tons last year...propane and electricity bills decreased big time. It was a steep learning curve on operation, ducting, air flow, etc. and I spent around $1,400 for pellets...you are now up to date.

Pellet prices in my area seem to be notably higher than in other parts of the country - even if purchased in bulk. $5.25+/- per bag is typical and brand variety is limited.

This past spring/summer, I spent considerable time and energy (sweat equity) and relatively little $$ adding insulation in the attic, sealing air infiltration points with caulk and/or Great Foam, and experimenting with manipulation of air flow using a single, small Vornado fan (this part of the project is ongoing).

It seems to be paying dividends in a big way. My pellet consumption to date this winter is significantly less than last year; I'm on schedule to burn a little over half of what I burned last season. This winter has been notably colder too.

When I hear people in my area complain about the increases in propane and electricity costs, I'm more determined to keep finding ways that allow me to tell myself that 'I don't care', and help steer them in a different direction.

My first recommendation is to control heat loss. Once that's done, we can debate pellet quality at our leisure.

Thanks to all who posted helpful information on this board as I was starting and learning, and good luck to all through the remainder of the winter season.

Reactions: Lake Girl
My comments are applicable on any of the forums, but since I burn pellets, I'll post them here. Apologies in advance to the moderators if misplaced.

Long story made short...house built in 2005 with dual fuel (elec./propane) heat...winter season propane and electricity bills were killing my wallet three years ago ($3,000+/-)...added pellet stove prior to last winter...burned a little over 5 tons last year...propane and electricity bills decreased big time. It was a steep learning curve on operation, ducting, air flow, etc. and I spent around $1,400 for pellets...you are now up to date.

Pellet prices in my area seem to be notably higher than in other parts of the country - even if purchased in bulk. $5.25+/- per bag is typical and brand variety is limited.

This past spring/summer, I spent considerable time and energy (sweat equity) and relatively little $$ adding insulation in the attic, sealing air infiltration points with caulk and/or Great Foam, and experimenting with manipulation of air flow using a single, small Vornado fan (this part of the project is ongoing).

It seems to be paying dividends in a big way. My pellet consumption to date this winter is significantly less than last year; I'm on schedule to burn a little over half of what I burned last season. This winter has been notably colder too.

When I hear people in my area complain about the increases in propane and electricity costs, I'm more determined to keep finding ways that allow me to tell myself that 'I don't care', and help steer them in a different direction.

My first recommendation is to control heat loss. Once that's done, we can debate pellet quality at our leisure.

Thanks to all who posted helpful information on this board as I was starting and learning, and good luck to all through the remainder of the winter season.
Good statement..

Good statement. Insulation is always cheaper than heat no matter what kind.
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.