Pellets getting moist in the Hopper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oneill1026

Nov 7, 2010
New Brunswick, Canada
I just bought a house with a pellet stove insert in the fireplace on the main floow. The chimney is capped and the pellet stove is vented out the side of the house. The vent angles down, as I am told is the proper configuration. We ran the stove for am few weeks with good results. We have just had three days of heavy rain and wind, during which time I didn't need to use the stove as the temp was quite mild. I just went to fire it up and when I opened the hopper, it looks like the pellets got wet, cause all I have in there now is moist sawdust. At first I thought water was leaking down through the chimney and I would have to have the whole thing opened up, but then I realized that maybe the high wind and rain forced some water and moisture in through the vent to get at the pellets. It has rained before since I bought the house and the pellets were fine, but the last few days we had like 100 ml of rain and gust of 80 kmh winds.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this during heavy rain/wind?

Listing the stove model could help.

I doubt its the stove doing this, More like the chimney isn't capped right and your getting water in the hopper. If the vent liner doesn't go up the chimney I would make sure its capped and sealed tight.

It sounds like the chimney is the source of your water, and it is getting on the hopper cover, and into the hopper from there.

It is not getting into the hooper via the vent,

I agree with Smokey and j-takeman. The source of the water is likely from the chimney itself.

We have a traditional center chimney cape which we built.

The chimney is 4 feet square at the top.

In a prolonged driving rain, the masonry will absord moisture and finally leak through. The only prevention we have found after having many masons and carpenters look at the situation is to keep the chimney coated with a waterproof sealer, the cap and flashing in good repair.

I would call a qualified mason to do an inspection.

let us know what you find.

Good luck,

Ranger

Just another thought is if your stove has a OAK (outside air kit) which will draw it's combustion air from outside. A good system will always draw fresh outside air into the system and be drafted up the chimney even when the stove is not in use, depending on your exact configuration. Although slight, moist outside air can be drawn through the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.