Pennington Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j00fek

Feeling the Heat
Jun 9, 2008
Auburn, Maine
i just got off the phone with Home Depot in Auburn, they have pre order for pennington woodpellets @ 225/ton, i was astonished at the price so i started to do some investigation.

everything i find says they are good pellets, but has anyone burnt these yet? seems like a softwood pellet price or that they are junk pellets..

thanks

I bought four or five different brands this past spring as a test. The only brand that really disappointed me were the Nature's Heat pellets by Pennington that I bought at Home Depot. They produced significantly more ash than any other brand that I used. The color of the pellets themselves was much darker than any other brand. I'm wondering why this would be. Is there a lot of bark, etc in these pellets?

If you don't mind emptying ash, I suppose they'll work fine. Since I have an insert, my ash pan is already small. Therefore, I'm going to stay away from them.

Just do a search here on the Forum for Nature's Heat or Pennington and you will find a lot of posts about them last season. None good that I can recall.

after reading the whole thread on pennington pellets and the problems people are having, ill stay away.

but for 50$ less/ton its hard to stay away.............................

j00fek said:
after reading the whole thread on pennington pellets and the problems people are having, ill stay away.

Glad we could be of help :coolsmile:

Maybe try a ton, as they seem to be the company Home Depot goes to every year. AND they did stand behind their faulty product last year. I just would not want to trust my whole years heating system on them.

THE TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGING! soon any pellets you can find will seem like the golden goose in the hand? Picking and pecking wont help much when supply is seriously deminished. Grab what you can now!!

personally, im waiting to see what reviews look like for pennington this coming season. i do know that the folks at their home office are very good folks and treated myself and my cohort when we went to atlanta to help them shoot an ad with HGTV. wonderful people!

as for the product line , they apparantly had a few issues which were well documented in this and other forums. it should be noted that they did make a concerted effort(publicly in here) to do right by the customers who did have issues and pledged to correct the issues. i commended them for that then and im hoping that once the season starts that honest reviews (good or bad) are posted. personally, i believe they are working to field a good product. were they available here i would try them again (i burned some last season , didnt have much of an issue with them then) lets see how they did this summer.

I have a friend who burned Pennington pellets last season here in NH and had no problems.
The only thing bad he had to say was they produced a little more ash.
I recently purchased some of the pennington pellets and they look good, I see no dust, the length is fine and they are dry.
I am storing them in my basement which is dry with a dehumidifier running so we shall see how they do.
I have tried 3 time to contact Penninton to see if the issues of last year were cleared up and have yet to receive a response.

Later,

The first few 'try it out' bags from Lowes last fall were fine, it was the ton I bought after that was junk. Apparently they had a bad run from one of their plants last year, and have since corrected the problem (or so I'm told). I will give them credit, they refunded my money in total and seemed very concerned, not too many companies that do that anymore. Even though I had a bad experince, I would try them again just due to their customer service. Maybe not a whole ton though!

j00fek said:

Keep in mind.....Pennington SAW the posts in this forum and was working on the problems. Time will tell if they have. They have had ample time to solve issues that people had. I too had tried the penningtons(3 bags...3 of the worst bags anyone could get lol)....maybe with this years batch they have got a handle on things....

Status
Not open for further replies.