Permits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew555

Sep 24, 2016
NY
Do you generally need a permit to rebuild or partially rebuild a chimney??
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

There is no general rule. Some areas will require a permit for that some wont. In our area we dont need permits for it but it may be totally different in your area.

I know this is a stupid question but, how do you think I should proceed? If I call the building inspector I feel I will be opening up a can of worms.

I know this is a stupid question but, how do you think I should proceed? If I call the building inspector I feel I will be opening up a can of worms.
No you will be finding out if you need a permit. The fines for doing it without one can be pretty steep. You could also try calling a couple contractors in the area and asking them.

My Sicilian Mafia neighbor used to do it like this: he'd just do it then intimidate the inspectors (who really have no real power) and get away with it.

(who really have no real power
They may not have power but the judges they report you to do have power. It is never a good idea to piss of your local code guy. They can make your life very difficult if you do.

Forget the Inspector and Judges . . . my own take . . . granted I am a bit biased due to the nature of my job . . . but I would be more concerned about what one's insurance company would say/do if there was ever an issue with the chimney and their research revealed there was never a permit.

As mentioned . . . a permit is not always necessary . . . a lot depends on where you live. Where I work, it seems like there is a permit for everything (including yard sales even . . . which seems a bit nuts), but where I live there are only permits for the big things -- namely building a house.

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.