PESONAL PLEA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

regis62

Jan 19, 2011
East CentralIdaho
HEY GUYS AND GALS; I'M NO KID AND I REALLY DONT KNOW HOW TO NAVIGATE OR UTILIZE SITES LIKE THIS.
I POSTED (I THINK) ABOUT 21/2 HOURS AGO UNDER "GREG" ASKING FOR HELP WITH A QUADRAFIRE 1000 THAT IS NOT WORkING AS WE APPROACH 0 DEGREES HERE. IT WONT STOP WITHOUT UNPLUG THOUGH OTHERWISE DOES RUN THROUGH ITS NORMAL CYCLE. BUT I CANT LEAVE IT RUNNING WHILE WE SLEEP.
CAN SOMEONE AT LEAST REPLY - EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT SURE OF THE ANSWER / I DON'T KNOW I CAN FIND REPLIES AND I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT AMONG YOU THERE IS NO SUGGESTION EVEN A BAD ONE.
I'M TOTALLY UNFAMILIAR WITH THIS VENUE SO PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME ASSURANCE THAT YOU EXIST AND THAT I AM DOING THIS RIGHT.
THANKS
PS I really do know how to spell personal and its embarrassing every time I see "pesonal"

I also just found out it's considered rude to use all caps so I apologize and have mended my ways.
I really appreciate the helpful responses from all of you.

Is your thermostat on the highest setting ?

Folks have to work for a living and can't hang around the forum all the time. Hang loose and somebody will have suggestions. After dinner and a cold one.

Greg said:
HEYGUYS AND GALS; I'M NO KID AND I REALLY DONT KWOW HOW TO NAVIGATE OR UTILIZE SITES LIKE THIS.
I POSTED (I THINK) ABOUT 21/2 HOURS AGO UNDER "GREG" ASKING FOR HELP WITH A QUADRAFIRE 1000 THAT IS NOT WORING AS WE APPROACH 0 DEGREES HERE. IT WONT STOP WITHOUT UNPLUG THOUGH OTHERWISE DOES RUN THROUGH ITS NORMAL CYCLE. BUT I CANT LEAVE IT RUNNING WHILE WE SLEEP.
CAN SOMEONBE AT LEAST REPLY - EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT SURE OF THE ANSWER / I DON'T KNOW I CAN FIND REPLIES AND I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT AMONG YOU THERE IS NO SUGGESTION EVEN A BAD ONE.
I'M TOTALLY UNFAMILIAR WITH THIS VENUE SO PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME ASSURANCE THAT YOU EXIST AND THAT I AM DOING THIS RIGHT.
THANKS

If you can read your post so can others.

Usually a problem like yours is frequently caused by a bad control system.

I'd check all of the wiring inside the stove making certain in particular that the wiring going to the always running blower isn't picking up power from other than the control box (there is power on a lot things inside the stove and shorts aren't always to ground) a place to start would also be the proof of fire switch isn't opening, be certain that when tracing the wiring you have the stove off.

Posts that have the stove make and model in it the title along with a short problem description generally get fast answers by folks that own that stove or one like it.

NO, BUT HIGH ENOUGH TO TURN THE CALL LIGHT ON AND OFF. I'VE JUST DISASSEMBLED AND RE-ASSEMBLED AND SAME PROBLEM. I DO NOTICE A CONSTANT CLICKING FROM THE TIME THE FEED STARTS TIL THE CALL LIGHT GOES OFF AGAIN. iT SEEMS TO BE FROM THE CONTROL BOX. IT STARTS CONSTANT, SPEEDS UP REAL FAST FOR A MINUTE THEN BACK TO STEADY CONSTANT CLICK. IT WILL THEN STOP ALTOGETHER WHEN CALL LIGHT GOES BACK OFF???
IN REFERENCE TO RED AND GREEN LIGHTS ON CONTROL BOX / THEY FLASH IN UNISON WITH THE CLICKS AND ARE ON SIMULTANEOUSLY. i FEAR MAY BE CONTROL BOX???
OPINION??
AND THANKS FOR REPLY LETS ME KNOW YOU ARE REALLY OUT THERE.
THANKS,
GREG

THANKS ALL. I REALLY APPRECIATE RESPONSES ADVICE AND GENTLE ADMONITIONS. GUESS I WAS STRESSING TOO MUCH AND NOT BEING PATIENT
I REALLY GET NERVOUS ABOUT HEATING THIS 110 YEAR OLD LOG CABIN AS WE GET DOWN TOWARD MINUS TEMPS

SURE SOUNDS LIKE CONTROL BOX SO I MAY HAVE TO JUST GAMBLE AND ORDER NEW ONE
SITE IS GREAT
THANKS

check to make shure that there is not a jumper wire on the two screws on the lower right hand side back
if the wires to the thermostate wires are not shorted to gether
if this dos'not work disconect the thermostate wires from back of unit and try
if unit works problem is in wire to thermostate or the thermostate

calm down and take the CAPS OFF... Do you have another source of heat like a kerosene heater or something.

One thing to try before you might have to buy a new control box is to :
UNPLUG THE STOVE after fire is out.
Unplug the control box, clean contacts with pencil eraser, and plug back in.
Turn stove back on and see if it works.

A lot of people find that a simple reseating of the control box fixes their problems. That will always be the first thing they tell you to do. Good luck.

Well that rules out the proof of fire system.

I'd give tjnamtiw's suggestion a shot.

A bit later you might find a current or past Quad 1000 user showing up.

For sure try reseating the box. Don't forget to unplug the stove first or you WILL kill the box. With both red and green lights flashing, I don't have a clue but go over to the iburncorn forum where you will find a section just on Quadrafires. Post your symptoms and Kap will help you. This is the link .... http://www.iburncorn.com/new-forum/34-quadrafire

My quad nova 800 was similar to the 1000. Uses many of the same parts. I am with tjnamtiw’s suggestion. I had to do it a few times. I also cleaned the contacts the box plugs into with contact cleaner. Mine would turn green and the stove would act wierd. So I just started doing the contact cleaning at the start of every season. Can't hurt to try as its free!

Be sure to unplug the stove first!

the clicking sounds like an air leak around the door maybe (check seal). Been awhile since I had one, but it only will run on high. has to be on a thermostat as well.
See if you can download a manual. snap discs also can go bad and I think it has 3 of them. good luck, I did like mine.....

Jim

So Greg, what is happening? Haven't heard back and haven't seen you leave a message at iburncorn.com???

Thanks for asking
I got rid of the caps and mellowed a bit.
No change in the perpetually running motor, so I ran it a few cycles controlled by unplugging. That warmed the house a bit. Also bought a couple of small heaters to place in the coldest spots and left the water running to prevent pipe freeze. We made it through the night not badly and it only went down to about 6 degrees -much better than below 0.
Turned it on again at first light ( whoops - its the full moon and only 12:30 AM) Stove is warming up now and I'll go back to sleep. It may yet hit 0.
I think I'm going to try the contact cleaning with eraser and mess around with control box to try to find something obvious?
I was unable to get registered on that "corn" site, but got an E-mail this morning telling me I was "activated".
Soon I will try that venue for ideas.
Thanks so much to all for your support - I will share results (hopefully success) with you as it occurs,
potatoeye93
(aka Greg)

Have you removed the box, cleaned the terminals, and re-seated? Were the contacts dirty?

The clicking inside the box is probably the relay turning the ignitor on. Do you hear the relaying clicking all the time?

You wrote that it won't stop running. Does that mean the auger will not stop, and both fans will not stop? If the auger is running all the time then it would be a complete over fire condition.

turbotech said:
Have you removed the box, cleaned the terminals, and re-seated? Were the contacts dirty?

The clicking inside the box is probably the relay turning the ignitor on. Do you hear the relaying clicking all the time?

You wrote that it won't stop running. Does that mean the auger will not stop, and both fans will not stop? If the auger is running all the time then it would be a complete over fire condition.

He said it was the exhaust fan.

SmokeyTheBear said:
turbotech said:

He said it was the exhaust fan.

Thanks, I missed that later on. I would do the re-seat on the control box. If that doesn't fix it then my next thought is a fried comb fan TRIAC. The most poplular fault mode is a short for a TRIAC. Over voltage or over current can cause it.
Did the comb get bound up? Is there a surge protector on the input?

Wow
thanks for all your attention
This is what I know; It is the 80 cfm negative vacuum fan that keeps running; the click is from the control box and correlates to the red and green lights flashing; the feed is fine; the thermostat is fine; the thermocoupler does its job; the convection fan works fine. The entire cycle is good until the convection fan turns off but the negative 80 cfm just keeps running. It will not restart the warming cycle unless I unplug, then re-plug to start a new cycle. Its getting more convincing that its the control box but I hesitate to gamble $300+ on this older model and find myself wrong. Its the age old quandry with older appliances and vehicles.
At some point I'll have to jump though.
Thanks again
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.