Pickled Fish (crappie)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
Hi folks. I am new to the pickled fish thing. I know a lot of you are from more northern reaches where the pickled fish thing is more common. A friend gave me a sample of his pickled crappie and I really liked it. My first batch was good too and am now preparing my second batch (also using crappie). I could use some ideas of other things to add to it. Here's the recipe I followed just so ya know what I started with:

* Soak fish pieces in a cold place for 24 hrs in brine made of 1 c pickling salt to 6 cups water.
* Drain, then cover with white vinegar for 24 hrs in cold place.
* Drain. Pack jars with alternating layers of fish and onion slices. Cover with pickling sauce made of 1 c white sugar, 1 c white vinegar, 2 Tbsp mixed pickling spices-gently boiled/stirred for 5 min and allowed to cool. Let sit a couple weeks in fridge before eating.
* I have kept them for up to 8 mos. with no problem.

I am considering adding a few sliced jalapenos and/or whole garlic cloves. What would be other worthwhile things to add in with my fish? Cauliflower? Different peppers? Carots? More spice? Less spice?

How strongly does the flavor of things like jalapenos and garlic transmit to the fish?

I would eat em deep fried. Just freeze them in water and they will stay freash for 10 months. Crappie are to good to pickle!!! but to each there own...

I haven't tried pickling fish yet, but I can tell you, there is nothing quite like Icelandic rotted shark - it is a taste that stays with you for DAYS... (However it gives you an excuse to drink Brennevinn, so that makes it worth while...)

That said, I would tend to say from having pickled a few other things, that bland vegetables will make bland pickles, so I probably wouldn't do much with carrots or cauliflower, however if you like garlic and hot peppers, I see no reason not to add them as desired.

Gooserider

In a jar or two, try dropping in about 6-8 whole peppercorns (or more to your liking, but don't get crazy, they can take over pretty easy). Gives a nice little background flavor.

A slice of hot pepper or garlic is definitely a good call.

Status
Not open for further replies.