Pics of my new wood hauler.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backroads

Feeling the Heat
Jun 19, 2008
Small Town, RI
Well as the guys from the DYI forum here know, I'm in the process of putting together a wood hauler/all around use trailer. I wanted something big enough to haul 6 round bails of hay, a small tractor, and a car/truck. It's just about done now. I added the front steel framework to hold the toolbox (which I also added to put the saws and stuff in). I designed the frame work to be big enough to box it in and hold a winch with a battery inside, just in case I ever need one. :) I also added the pressure treated sides and box tubing pokets. I was going to go 16' but decided because of the weight to go with 2 8's and join them in the middle. I was able to find some really nice aluminum T peices that mate the sides perfectly. Really the only thing left is the tailboard, paint and add the reflective stickers. Stacked it should hold 1.5 cords easily. The electric brakes work good and all the lights now work. So here's how it added up:

Trailer of CL $850
Toolbox of CL $30
Lumber & Hardware $125 - $25 gift card I won= $100
All New Stainless steel lugnuts of Ebay $25
Paint & supplies $125
New Lights $30
Scrap steel $15

Grand total $1175

I think it's pretty reasonable, take a look at let me know what you think.

100_0621.jpg

100_0624.jpg

100_0628.jpg

Thats awesome! Whatever you do, don't paint up the black with some nice shiny paint or you've got a trailer thats too nice to use.

It's very strange to see a pintle hitch and 5 lug wheels. What are the axles rated for? 5 lug axles are typically only 3500lb capacity units and that trailer probably weighs almost 2000 lbs. Leaving you with 5000 lbs of capacity which is about a cord of green wood. The sidewalls look to allow several cords to be hauled which might put you into an overload. What do 6 round bales of hay weigh? My pickup weighs almost 8000lbs all alone so it wouldn't work.

I really like how you allowed the access under the sideboards for chains to the frame.

Sweet looking trailer Backroads...happy hauling.

Highbeam said:
It's very strange to see a pintle hitch and 5 lug wheels. What are the axles rated for? 5 lug axles are typically only 3500lb capacity units and that trailer probably weighs almost 2000 lbs. Leaving you with 5000 lbs of capacity which is about a cord of green wood. The sidewalls look to allow several cords to be hauled which might put you into an overload. What do 6 round bales of hay weigh? My pickup weighs almost 8000lbs all alone so it wouldn't work.

I really like how you allowed the access under the sideboards for chains to the frame.

Thanks for the compliment and constructive critique, it's exactly what I was looking for. Yes it is strange for the combo but I figure less people use a pintle, less of a threat of theft. I registered the trailer for 9000 GVW. I know what you are thinking about the axles but I'd rather be rated for a little more than be over weighted. Six round bails should put me right about at the max of 7000 depending on the bail and drying time, I haven't weighed the trailer yet but plan to and will let you know the results. I'm not 100% sure of the axle rating but I believe you can get some 5000lb 5 lug though not many, you just have to look hard for them. The axles and springs are less than three years old with barely any surface rust on them, which is impressive for them being unpainted. I plan to use sound judgement when loading the trailer and will pay especial attention to the tires/springs. If I see any issues that worry me, I have already looked into uprages for the suspension and for less than $600 I can make it happen. I'm thinking of adding some handles to the sides for easier removal, but haven't decided what style yet. I was at home cheapo today browsing, but definately like the fact I can still get to them if I need to.

I too also like the fact that it's somewhat low to the ground which will make loading it a breeze. For the first loads I probably won't stack just wheel the wheelbarrow right up one of the ramps and dump and see what a cord looks like on it. If all is good I'll cautiously add more.

Thanks again guys.

Nice trailer . You got a good deal. Be safe.
Just FYI. If those are 3500 lb axles and you register it for 9000, that is considered an illegal registration and if you are weighed they will go by the axle rating.Tag or not on the axle or trailer they (DOT) know just by looking ( it's their job to know) what most any axle is rated for and it's up to you to prove them wrong. They will let you register it at whatever weight you want at the DMV knowing dam well its illegal counting on you getting stopped and fined BIG. They can get you 3 ways for overweight. Over on your tire capacity, over on your axle rating, and over on your gross weight. Ben there done that.

Blah Ho Vick said:
Just FYI. If those are 3500 lb axles and you register it for 9000, that is considered an illegal registration and if you are weighed they will go by the axle rating.Tag or not on the axle or trailer they (DOT) know just by looking ( it's their job to know) what most any axle is rated for and it's up to you to prove them wrong. They will let you register it at whatever weight you want at the DMV knowing dam well its illegal counting on you getting stopped and fined BIG. They can get you 3 ways for overweight. Over on your tire capacity, over on your axle rating, and over on your gross weight. Ben there done that.

That's why the 4500lb tractor in my avatar gets hauled on a 10k rated trailer by a truck rated to tow 16000. I use four 3/8" chains with 4 binders. That said, I've never been weighed or pulled over to check.

I wanted something big enough to haul 6 round bails of hay, a small tractor, and a car/truck.
Gotta get a bigger trailer - you'll never get all that stuff on there in one load... %-P :lol:

Seriously, it looks good, though I don't quite understand why the big platform for the toolbox.

Gooserider

Wow, nice, roomy, 2 loads and you are done for the year with that thing! I hope you have 20k load capacity cause that thing has some room!!!

Blah Ho Vick said:

I do realize that if they are the repercussions of it. The guy I bought it off of had it registered for the same, 9000 and he thinks the axles he had put in it were rated for 5000 but he couldn't remember. Like I said, I'm going to have to feel it out before I use it to it's max potential. You are right, safety first.

As for the weight of the round bails, I think the ones I've been picking up are approx 800 a piece. I only plan to use the sides for wood I think, that's why they are easily removable. I have some heavy duty straps and with the D-Rings they should be fine. I did haul 3 on a similar sized trailer and it was a breeze, just have to lay them on their side.

Gooserider, I mounted the box like that because if I put it on the tongue it would close up the turning radius of the trailer. By raising it up, it gets it away from the bumper and moves it back. This mount gives almost 12" of extra turning radius. That way if I let someone borrow it and they are not familiar with it and are nice enough to jack-knife it, the bumper won't crush the toolbox or vice-versa.

Blah Ho Vick said:

I agree with vick 100%
I was in court last week and the 6 guy before me payed a total of 22000 in fines to the DOT . I was pulled over with a rig like yours and received a 5000 dollar ticket .(Bummer)
I had to kiss some Azz but was let off the hook with out a fine . ( mostly because i did nothing wrong) .
You need to check your tire , axle, GVW capacity . My ticket was for having the wrong sticker on the trailer.
If you hook the trail to your truck you are a cash cow .
In NY you would need DOT # on your truck and trailer.
Your going to love loading up with wood sweet trailer .

My trucks and trailers are spot on legal and when I get pulled over they almost always find some BS violation.It's all about more $$$$$ for the state. I have my own shop and do my own wrenching and also have a part time DOT certified grease monkey come in once and a while for a "go over". We call them the DOT "truck nazis" here.
The last few years DOT has been focusing on pickups and trailers. I say its about time as some of these yayhoos shouldn't even be on the road with some of the stuff I see.
Your right about the DOT #. Any vehicle or combination with a GVW over 10,000 is subject to state and federal DOT laws and inspection.

Blah Ho Vick said:

What state do they check axle ratings for non-commercial vehicles? Can you provide a link to an axle weight law for non-commercial vehicles?

As far as I know, your axle can't be more than 20k lbs and you can't exceed the registered weight. Other than that it would have to be really excessive and would then come down to unsafe operation or something like that, not a weight violation.

Blah Ho Vick said:
We call them the DOT "truck nazis" here.
They setup at one of several wayside spots and do a thorough inspection of the trucks/trailers. The truckers that think they can sneak by them by sticking to back roads get picked off right at our truck scales. They setup shop right next to the scales. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

PO them and they will be your worst nightmare. I know one guy got hauled over and inspected 5 times in one day.

KarlP said:
Blah Ho Vick said:

What state do they check axle ratings for non-commercial vehicles? Can you provide a link to an axle weight law for non-commercial vehicles?

As far as I know, your axle can't be more than 20k lbs and you can't exceed the registered weight. Other than that it would have to be really excessive and would then come down to unsafe operation or something like that, not a weight violation.

Every state.
Just look at the door sticker or title of your car or pickup. You are not allowed to exceed that weight (GVW) in any state.

Blah Ho Vick said:
Just look at the door sticker or title of your car or pickup. You are not allowed to exceed that weight (GVW) in any state.

Unless you can prove otherwise, I believe you're not allowed to exceed your REGISTERED weight in any state. The MFG sticker is meaningless in the US for non-commercial vehicles.

Blah Ho Vick said:
KarlP said:
Blah Ho Vick said:

Every state.

You mean GVWR Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Some people think that this is a recommendation or that they can ignore that if they have overload springs. I bought my latest truck intentionally to get a high stickered GVWR. You can not increase your sitckered GVWR. I am of the opinion that if you exceed any of your ratings that you can be ticketed. That includes Gross Axle Weight Rating on your door sticker, GVWR on your door sticker AND GVWR on your registration, tire ratings, etc.

Correct . You can also get an overweight ticket for Bridge Weight Rating which is determined by length, axle rating and spacing. I believe states are going to really crack down on pickups in the near future as O passes the infrastructure stimulus. The $$$$ has to come back somehow.

Highbeam said:
I am of the opinion that if you exceed any of your ratings that you can be ticketed.

Don't you have to be breaking a law to get a ticket?

KarlP said:
Highbeam said:
I am of the opinion that if you exceed any of your ratings that you can be ticketed.

Don't you have to be breaking a law to get a ticket?

Yes. I would like to think so. I deserved every one of the tickets that I've gotten.

What's probably more important is the liability issue. If my combination is involved in an accident that kills someone, the authorities will be most delighted to blame the "overloaded" guy. Being blamed is awfully close to being liable. Being liable is reason to be sued. Being sued makes me an unhappy camper.

Highbeam said:
What's probably more important is the liability issue. If my combination is involved in an accident that kills someone, the authorities will be most delighted to blame the "overloaded" guy. Being blamed is awfully close to being liable. Being liable is reason to be sued. Being sued makes me an unhappy camper.

IMHO whats most important is not killing anyone. I'd rather not have myself be the one killed, and I also don't want to have to live with having killed someone else. Being sued isn't my problem, its my insurance company's problem.

However, being 1000lbs over manufacturers suggested weight but under registered weight isn't illegal and isn't likely to be a primary cause of someone dying from a crash.

KarlP said:
Highbeam said:

IMHO whats most important is not killing anyone. I'd rather not have myself be the one killed, and I also don't want to have to live with having killed someone else. Being sued isn't my problem, its my insurance company's problem.

However, being 1000lbs over manufacturers suggested weight but under registered weight isn't illegal and isn't likely to be a primary cause of someone dying from a crash.

The mfg weight rating IS the legal maximum registered GVWR on ANY vehicle, anything else is an illegal registration.If you crash with a load on and DOT feels weight is a factor your truck and load will be hauled to a scale and weighed. If it is found overweight you open yourself up to liability issues.

Wow, I'm learning a whole lot more than I thought I would just by posting a couple of pictures. I'm going to do some measurement on the axles tomorrow maybe. You CAN get 5200lb axles with a 5 lug if you special order them, that I did find out. I just need to measure them and see I think. Thanks for all the info guys. I don't plan to be doing much overloaded traveling but all the info is appreciated.

Sorry for the content drift backroads.

Here's a picture of my trailer's rear end and how I attach my tractor. Shows the 5200 lb dexter 6-lugs with their E rated trailer tires at 75 psi. Be safe when using it.

Attachments

• tractor butt.JPG
    tractor butt.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 340
Status
Not open for further replies.