Pine over flame! Wood burning is not a procrastinators sport

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those big, square ones are a pretty good bet. >> The dead Locust (Black?) might be good. If they've been standing dead for some years, I've gotten wood in the low 20s moisture from them. Here again, smaller diameters will be drier as a rule. Harder to tell dryness by hefting Black Locust if you haven't cut much of it...Even bone-dry, it is heavy. _g

That dry locust will murder your chain saw. Locust is a fantastic firewood when it is dry. If it is not dry it is worthless. I don't touch locust unless it sits 3 years split. I've seen locust trees that appeared dead but were still very wet inside.

Reactions: Stevenmverrill
Stickers, stays, dimensional lumber, pallet wood etc. all burn hot and can get away from you quick. In my experience it hasn't made much of a difference in specie of these types of woods other than the harder stuff just burns hotter for longer. So I don't think it's because it's pine, it's just the character of burning scraps.

Reactions: Stevenmverrill
If I cut my 30 back at 300-350 I don't get a good secondary burn. I don't cut the air back till 400-450...sometimes 500.

No worries. Just don't walk away.

Same with my Drolet, Sometimes at 300 I will knock the air in from wide open just a TAD, to help start holding some heat in the box, but don't start usually dialing it in anymore until stove top temps get to 375-400. Otherwise secondaries don't seem to last.

Stickers, stays, dimensional lumber, pallet wood etc. all burn hot and can get away from you quick. In my experience it hasn't made much of a difference in specie of these types of woods other than the harder stuff just burns hotter for longer. So I don't think it's because it's pine, it's just the character of burning scraps.

yea, that's my observation too.

So finally cut some trees up today. I ended up keeping most of the oak, and some cherry. gave him almost all the Locust. worked out to about a 50/50 spilt.

I will make sure with a moisture meter tomorrow, but I think the oak is good to go. I was splitting 12"rounds just laying horizontally lol also think I will see news of an alleged earthquake tonight, from when that oak fell.

the locusts seem pretty dry too, but would think it should definitely get cut up and sit for some time.

one friend cut up a small Locus that I don't even think was completely dead. you should be able to see the yellow looking thin 7" +/- diameter.

Attachments

• 20161211_164617.jpg
    20161211_164617.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 20161211_154752.jpg
    20161211_154752.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 20161211_132210.jpg
    20161211_132210.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: Woody Stover
Also thanks Woody Stover the neighbor behind me came home when we were cutting up the oak, so I went up and talked to him. cool guy, bit of a yuppie.

beyond normal (actually) meeting the neighbor talk, I asked if he was ok with me cutting up his fallen trees, that fell or were hung up over my side. he said to help my selff, and even said to take any thing of his dead I wanted! also asked if we could take cair of a giant standing dead oak that will inevitably be laying across his driveway one day...

I of course reply "yea", and will be doing that next weekend. he said he dose actually like to use his Fireplace for occasional family family gatherings, but never has wood cut. so I told to make it a 2 way deal, I would keep his tiny (currently empty) wood rack filled with nice dry, spilt wood, with kindling, so its ready for him.

he acted like that was offering too much, but liked it. Considering he has probably 10 chords laying on the ground wasting away, on my side of his house. I think it will work out lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.