Pine tree state ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from the lack of raw materials in the NE, I wonder how much the general public's (not us pellet heads who are in the know) opinion has on manufacturers decisions NOT to make softwood pellets. I've come across countless people who, when asked if they've seen or burned softwoods, have said "no way, hardwood is the way to go...just like a wood stove", or "you're gonna have a chimney fire burning those!"....or something along those lines.

Picture this. For a few days, you're a fly on the wall at your local BB store. There are 5 brands of pellets to choose from. All are priced within $10/ton of each other. Four of them are hardwood and one is soft, and they are all CLEARLY marked 100% hardwood or 100% softwood. They all say "premium", "low ash" bla bla on the bags. Which brand will be the last to sell out? My money is on the softies.

Aside from the lack of raw materials in the NE, I wonder how much the general public's (not us pellet heads who are in the know) opinion has on manufacturers decisions NOT to make softwood pellets. I've come across countless people who, when asked if they've seen or burned softwoods, have said "no way, hardwood is the way to go...just like a wood stove", or "you're gonna have a chimney fire burning those!"....or something along those lines.

Picture this. For a few days, you're a fly on the wall at your local BB store. There are 5 brands of pellets to choose from. All are priced within $10/ton of each other. Four of them are hardwood and one is soft, and they are all CLEARLY marked 100% hardwood or 100% softwood. They all say "premium", "low ash" bla bla on the bags. Which brand will be the last to sell out? My money is on the softies.
I think you hit the nail on the head ! Most people think the hardwood is the ansewer and I'm sure from a marketing point of view it would be a tough sell . Most people who own pellet stoves ( less us here ) do not know the difference .

Status
Not open for further replies.