pipe liner questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ledwards

Hearth Supporter
Aug 19, 2009
WNC
I am planning on putting a wood stove insert in my masonry fireplace.

I have a chimney with what appears to be a 6.25x6.25 terracotta pipe. Any thoughts on: 1) whether to line the pipe with rigid or flex liner 2) any tips on getting a 6" liner installed without major headaches (snags, etc)?

is it a straight shot... If it is I would reline it with rigid pipe, but if its got any turns I would run flex just for the ease.. rigid on the outside diameter is like 6.048 whereas flex will be closer to 6.375

It's an external chimney about 15-18ft tall.

I have read mixed reviews about going smaller than a 6 inch liner. Also, even at 5.5, I don't see how I could get insulation in there too.

Thought?

With a chimney under 20' I wouldn't downsize the liner. Mine work fine with 5.5" but both are over twenty-feet tall.

LADYGO DIVA said:
is vermiculite dry poured legal?
That and the 5.5" liner is what I was thinking. Anything larger is going to be a real headache to get down the chimney.

Get a bid for busting out the tiles and you will have plenty of room for an insulated 6" liner.

Todd said:
Get a bid for busting out the tiles and you will have plenty of room for an insulated 6" liner.
Has anyone ever priced this? I've often wondered what they charge for doing this...

Here they are.

Attachments

• tile breakers.jpg
    tile breakers.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 211
If the chimney was 20' or higher, what would be better, an insulated 5.5-inch liner or an uninsulated 6-inch liner?

I assume a cone adapter would be needed to get the pipe down that tight chimney.

In my part of the country breaking out the tiles,ss liner,ther mix insulation installation about $1300.00 for 15' .

Status
Not open for further replies.