Pipe Temps at Stove vs. Ceiling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boatboy63

Feb 6, 2010
Northeastern TN
Got my infrared thermometer out the other day just to see what was going thru my new Magnolia. I found stove top temps around 600, temp at pipe about 6" above stove at 350 and then 5' above stove at ceiling was running around 250. I have been keeping a check on it and am finding a varience of 75-100* from just above stove to ceiling. Just wondering if this sounds typical with what you guys are getting. Also, according to my Rutland pipe thermometer, a safe burn is considered as 300-550*. If this is the case, what about when you are running 300* flue temp above stove but less than 250* when it gets to ceiling and enters the triple pipe?

It all sounds very normal and nothing to worry about. The temperature will continue to fall as the air rises and that is also why more soot or creosote will form at the very top of the chimney.

Our flue temperature will drop below 300 by the time we are ready to reload the stove. No problem. Most of the time during the burn the flue temperature is around the 300-350 mark. Sometimes, like when the stove top is 600+ then the flue temperature will be around 400.

You got me curious, so I checked mine.
My stove pipe was 425 degrees at six inches above the stove, and 200 degrees at 4 feet above the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.