Piping Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seeker91199

Mar 11, 2014
Pennsylvania
I am installing a propane fireplace in my den as a supplemental heat source. As part of the installation I am putting a space heater in my garage and I want to run a line for the future addition of a gas stove and possibly a gas clothes dryer and/or hot water heater. The house is a split level so running the piping to the new fireplace and space heater is relatively easy but it will be a bit challenging getting the other line run to my basement.

My question is how the lines need to be run, there are no local codes to worry about it is primarily the state codes. I plan on running CI pipe inside and I will use a licensed plumber but I spoke to one plumbing contractor and he said I would need to put in a manifold outside and then run individual lines to every use point inside the house which seems silly to me:

one (1) 1/2" line to garage heater
one (1) 1/2" line to fireplace

one (1) 3/4" line to stove
one (1) 1/2" line to clothes dryer
one (1) 1/2" line to water heater

The space heater and the fireplace connection points are within 3' of each other and the other appliances are close to each other.

I did a very rough sizing and I could run a 1" line from the outside to the first split (~15') that would feed my space heater and fireplace then 3/4" into my basement (~45') which would have plenty of capacity for a stove, clothes dryer and hot water heater.

Can anyone tell me if there is a reason in the code why you cannot branch off inside the house to feed separate appliances? If I need to run individual lines I am concerned the installation will be a mess.

No reason you can't do what you want. You cannot hide any joints.
You must be able to access them all.
If you run CSS, there are considerations, like shielding where it passes thru plates...
Others may chime in here:

Status
Not open for further replies.