1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pizza in the woodstove-update

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by maxed_out, Apr 2, 2011.

1. maxed_out

maxed_out New Member

Loc:
    Central Pa
    Hey folks been meaning to writeup a brief update. Looks like this is a hit over here. Family and neighbors love the pies. We routinely make 3-5 on a friday night.

I'm still using the dough from my local pizza shop-havent been able to make a good pizza dough on my own yet. So if anyone has a recipe please send it thru. Once you shape and stretch the dough, dont skip on the sauce. we've found something special nearby from a local Italian market from ROSA. Certified San Marzanos (pic of the can below). The cans actually have a serial number! This sauce is unbelieveable.

Once you get the sauce on, its a combination to top off with fresh mozzarella, provolone (good stuff, fresh and then we grate it) and top it off with some basil, garlic and regiano parm cheese.

I think the secret is the pizza stone. I asked the boss and she said ours came from "pampered chef" (online). You need to preheat the stone which we do on top of the stove before assembly.

After assembly, in she goes, on top of some firebricks on the coals. Make sure you are into some nice coaling at this point. Pizza can cook quikly in about 5-7 mins.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That looks fabulous!
  3. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Well done!

And I see you are just down the road a couple of hours......hmmm....Friday nights aye? ;)

pen
  4. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    Yeah, Richmond is really not that far from central PA...
  5. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    That is seriously tasty, looks better than any of my pizza's so far.

I've made bread successfully, must get a decent pizza stone!!!!

What was your flue temperature when you put the pizza in?

I start my bread off when it's around 220f and dropping, just as the fire is going out.
  6. SnapCracklePop

SnapCracklePop Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern Penna
    I'm putting pizza on my grocery list right now.

With the new 30-NC, the firebox is so big so big so big that there's an echo an echo an echo in there there there.

I was actually thinking that I'll need to buy some firebrick. Then it hit me. I'll borrow from the Pleasant Hearth downstairs.

Duh.

Nancy
  7. VCBurner

VCBurner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Templeton, MA
    Wow! That pizza looks good! I like all the ingredients you mentioned, sounds delicious! We have two homemade pizzas almost every week. Last night was pizza night for us too. The boys had chopped pineapples and bacon bits on theirs. They loved it. We had sliced tomatoes and feta, on mixed pizza cheese and ragu pizza sauce, a little basil and oregano sprinkled on top. Simple and fast in the regular oven. But I sure thought about throwing it in the stove. We will have to try the pampered chef stones, my wife just said she has thought about buying them everytime she goes to one of those home parties.
  8. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    All in favor of nominating maxed_out as host of a hearth.com meet and greet say "aye"!

I'll bring beer and chicken wings.

Who's got the chips and dip?

pen
  9. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    Aye.

And the chips are on me!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. maxed_out

maxed_out New Member

Loc:
    Central Pa
    Hey we would love to host a meet and greet, we'd just need a few more woodstoves hooked up and a bunch of pizza stones. I bet we could probably talk a stove shop into hosting something like that. I'm crazy enough to try anything.

On the temp Q's. I didnt check the flue but I usually get the IR up to 600 on the griddle, then stop putting in wood (smaller splits-cherry is nice, apple and pear are great), wait about an hour or 2 til you have coals (no flames). Put the firebricks right on the coals-try to not have any gaps between the bricks. Wait another 20ish minutes. I took some temps of the bricks they were 500ish. While the bricks are coming up to temp you can preheat the pizza stone.

You'l also want to rotate the pizza as it cooks. You gotta be patient and let the crust firm up to turn it. check the bottom so she noa burn.

I can't wait to see popcracklesnaps results.
  11. mainemac

mainemac Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Hey folks been meaning to writeup a brief update. Looks like this is a hit over here. Family and neighbors love the pies. We routinely make 3-5 on a friday night.

I’m still using the dough from my local pizza shop-havent been able to make a good pizza dough on my own yet. So if anyone has a recipe please send it thru. Once you shape and stretch the dough, dont skip on the sauce. we’ve found something special nearby from a local Italian market from ROSA. Certified San Marzanos (pic of the can below). The cans actually have a serial number! This sauce is unbelieveable.

Once you get the sauce on, its a combination to top off with fresh mozzarella, provolone (good stuff, fresh and then we grate it) and top it off with some basil, garlic and regiano parm cheese.

I think the secret is the pizza stone. I asked the boss and she said ours came from “pampered chef†(online). You need to preheat the stone which we do on top of the stove before assembly.

After assembly, in she goes, on top of some firebricks on the coals. Make sure you are into some nice coaling at this point. Pizza can cook quikly in about 5-7 mins.

Enjoy!

Looks Great I will be right over!!!!!!!!
  12. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I would add that keeping the pizza stone elevated off of the coals is very important. And rotate the pizza at least once while it's cooking. If the stove is hot, it could be done in 3 minutes so avoid distractions while cooking.
  13. SnapCracklePop

SnapCracklePop Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern Penna
    Norman, my partner in crime in the installation of the Englander, called today to see how the stove was doing. He said I'd have to have him and his wife for a visit to enjoy the fire. I'm going to surprise them with a pizza in the stove.

Oooooh, I feel so devilish.

Nancy
  14. certified106

certified106 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Athens, Ohio
    There was no way to cook a pizza in my old stove but the new T6 looks like it was designed for it and I can't wait to try it out since we already have one of the pizza stones in the cabinet
  15. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    I'm the Central PA food inspector, you must make some for me for food safety testing.
  16. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yup, that big firebox makes navigating in there pretty easy. Just be sure to wear the leather gloves and preheat that stone.
  17. REM505

REM505 New Member

Loc:
    Chester/Lancaster county area PA
    Looks good. You think you could fit a brisket in there too?
  18. Arc_Dad

Arc_Dad Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I've been using a Dutch oven & it works pretty well for those that don't have a stone.
  19. rowerwet

rowerwet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    I got my wife a bread machine about 8 years ago (GE makes good ones) she makes pizza dough in it almost weekly using the ingredients in the instruction booklet that came with it. the best part for her is no mixing and kneeding, just dump in the ingredients and hit the buttons for the dough cycle, out comes a ball of dough after it beeps.
  20. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  21. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You guys are making me hungryj.
  22. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I'm getting hungry . . . and I just ate lunch.
  23. Skier76

Skier76 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT and VT
    Here's what we use for pizza dough: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/all-purpose-pizza-dough.html

We make it in the Kitchen Aid mixer though...not need for that well they talk about. We find that some semolina flour really makes a difference. We don't measure exactly for the flour; after you do it a few times, you'll just know.

San Marzano: Excellent choice!