Pizza in the woodstove-update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maxed_out

Jan 19, 2010
Central Pa
Hey folks been meaning to writeup a brief update. Looks like this is a hit over here. Family and neighbors love the pies. We routinely make 3-5 on a friday night.

I'm still using the dough from my local pizza shop-havent been able to make a good pizza dough on my own yet. So if anyone has a recipe please send it thru. Once you shape and stretch the dough, dont skip on the sauce. we've found something special nearby from a local Italian market from ROSA. Certified San Marzanos (pic of the can below). The cans actually have a serial number! This sauce is unbelieveable.

Once you get the sauce on, its a combination to top off with fresh mozzarella, provolone (good stuff, fresh and then we grate it) and top it off with some basil, garlic and regiano parm cheese.

I think the secret is the pizza stone. I asked the boss and she said ours came from "pampered chef" (online). You need to preheat the stone which we do on top of the stove before assembly.

After assembly, in she goes, on top of some firebricks on the coals. Make sure you are into some nice coaling at this point. Pizza can cook quikly in about 5-7 mins.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• pizza 1.jpg
    pizza 1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,017
  • pizza 2.jpg
    pizza 2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,024
  • CIMG1477.jpg
    CIMG1477.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 956
That looks fabulous!

Well done!

And I see you are just down the road a couple of hours......hmmm....Friday nights aye? ;)

pen

Yeah, Richmond is really not that far from central PA...

That is seriously tasty, looks better than any of my pizza's so far.

I've made bread successfully, must get a decent pizza stone!!!!

What was your flue temperature when you put the pizza in?

I start my bread off when it's around 220f and dropping, just as the fire is going out.

I'm putting pizza on my grocery list right now.

With the new 30-NC, the firebox is so big so big so big that there's an echo an echo an echo in there there there.

I was actually thinking that I'll need to buy some firebrick. Then it hit me. I'll borrow from the Pleasant Hearth downstairs.

Duh.

Nancy

Wow! That pizza looks good! I like all the ingredients you mentioned, sounds delicious! We have two homemade pizzas almost every week. Last night was pizza night for us too. The boys had chopped pineapples and bacon bits on theirs. They loved it. We had sliced tomatoes and feta, on mixed pizza cheese and ragu pizza sauce, a little basil and oregano sprinkled on top. Simple and fast in the regular oven. But I sure thought about throwing it in the stove. We will have to try the pampered chef stones, my wife just said she has thought about buying them everytime she goes to one of those home parties.

All in favor of nominating maxed_out as host of a hearth.com meet and greet say "aye"!

I'll bring beer and chicken wings.

Who's got the chips and dip?

pen

Hey we would love to host a meet and greet, we'd just need a few more woodstoves hooked up and a bunch of pizza stones. I bet we could probably talk a stove shop into hosting something like that. I'm crazy enough to try anything.

On the temp Q's. I didnt check the flue but I usually get the IR up to 600 on the griddle, then stop putting in wood (smaller splits-cherry is nice, apple and pear are great), wait about an hour or 2 til you have coals (no flames). Put the firebricks right on the coals-try to not have any gaps between the bricks. Wait another 20ish minutes. I took some temps of the bricks they were 500ish. While the bricks are coming up to temp you can preheat the pizza stone.

You'l also want to rotate the pizza as it cooks. You gotta be patient and let the crust firm up to turn it. check the bottom so she noa burn.

I can't wait to see popcracklesnaps results.

Hey folks been meaning to writeup a brief update. Looks like this is a hit over here. Family and neighbors love the pies. We routinely make 3-5 on a friday night.

I’m still using the dough from my local pizza shop-havent been able to make a good pizza dough on my own yet. So if anyone has a recipe please send it thru. Once you shape and stretch the dough, dont skip on the sauce. we’ve found something special nearby from a local Italian market from ROSA. Certified San Marzanos (pic of the can below). The cans actually have a serial number! This sauce is unbelieveable.

Once you get the sauce on, its a combination to top off with fresh mozzarella, provolone (good stuff, fresh and then we grate it) and top it off with some basil, garlic and regiano parm cheese.

I think the secret is the pizza stone. I asked the boss and she said ours came from “pampered chef†(online). You need to preheat the stone which we do on top of the stove before assembly.

After assembly, in she goes, on top of some firebricks on the coals. Make sure you are into some nice coaling at this point. Pizza can cook quikly in about 5-7 mins.

Enjoy!

Looks Great I will be right over!!!!!!!!

I would add that keeping the pizza stone elevated off of the coals is very important. And rotate the pizza at least once while it's cooking. If the stove is hot, it could be done in 3 minutes so avoid distractions while cooking.

Norman, my partner in crime in the installation of the Englander, called today to see how the stove was doing. He said I'd have to have him and his wife for a visit to enjoy the fire. I'm going to surprise them with a pizza in the stove.

Oooooh, I feel so devilish.

Nancy

There was no way to cook a pizza in my old stove but the new T6 looks like it was designed for it and I can't wait to try it out since we already have one of the pizza stones in the cabinet

certified106 said:
There was no way to cook a pizza in my old stove but the new T6 looks like it was designed for it and I can't wait to try it out since we already have one of the pizza stones in the cabinet

Yup, that big firebox makes navigating in there pretty easy. Just be sure to wear the leather gloves and preheat that stone.

I've been using a Dutch oven & it works pretty well for those that don't have a stone.

I got my wife a bread machine about 8 years ago (GE makes good ones) she makes pizza dough in it almost weekly using the ingredients in the instruction booklet that came with it. the best part for her is no mixing and kneeding, just dump in the ingredients and hit the buttons for the dough cycle, out comes a ball of dough after it beeps.

You guys are making me hungryj.

I'm getting hungry . . . and I just ate lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.