Playing With Fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BillBurns

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2022
PA
Is it just me, or is it fun to play with the fire? I mean just moving logs, moving coals, ect. To me, thats the fun part!

Reactions: PaulOinMA
So, you just "set it and forget it"? I like to flip logs over for the burn, and you are supposed to move coals to the front, fire in the back.

The stove works more efficiently and cleanly if you open the door the least number of times. So load it, burn it, rake and reload.

I don't mess with the fire once the stove is cruising. My stove hates lots of fly ash (clogs up the cats) Turning my draft down, and not poking the fire has almost cured the problem.

Also opening the door over and over again cools the stove down, ruins the air quality in the house, and spills embers and sparks out of the stove.

Reactions: stoveliker
I don't like opening the doors and letting smoke into the room. With my stove (an E/W loader) unless a split falls down against the doors I leave them closed until the coals have burned down far enough to put in another load. With dry wood there's no need to move splits to get them to burn completely. When I let the stove go out there's not even much charcoal left. It's nearly all burnt to ash.

Reactions: stoveliker
So, you just "set it and forget it"? I like to flip logs over for the burn, and you are supposed to move coals to the front, fire in the back.
Yeah I don't touch the wood in the stove untill it's burnt down to coals and I am ready to load more wood.

Are you playing with a fireplace or a wood stove? With a stove the object of the game is more heat from less wood for longer periods of time for the win. Opening a stove lets in more air so it burns more fuel, that's why stoves are advertised as air tight.

Reactions: VintageGal