Please Give Me Fast Advice on Magnolia 2015, Less Than 24 Hours of Tax Credit Left and Need to Buy T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boatboy63

Feb 6, 2010
Northeastern TN
I apologize for the long post, but want to share details.
I currently have an old 30 year old model 27000 Buck Stove insert and want to take advantage of the tax credit before it is gone tomorrow night. We are also very limited on available funds. The masonary fireplace that the insert is in is slightly larger than an average fireplace. I am thinking of putting a free standing stove on the hearth and pushing the stove back far enough to use existing chimney. I thought about another insert, but there is too much heat lost when the power is off. With the free standing stove, it can sit out farther and radiate the heat. I know I will have to install a blocking plate to stop the excess air flow.

My house is a 2 story with approximately 3500 square feet. Of this, the lower level is about 2000 sq ft and was built in the late 1800's. We have removed exterior wall sheeting and added insulation, but there is very little under the house due to the amount of crawl space. The upstairs is about 1500 sq ft that we built on about 10 yrs ago. The upstairs walls all have R-19 and use 2x6 framing. Insulation up there isn't an issue as it is above average. The downstairs area is drafty when the stove is going because of the inability to get heat to the other side of the house. I am attaching a drawing of the house so you can further understand.

I am having problems deciding on what size to go with. I was considering a Magnolia 2015 stove because they are EPA approved and on sale right now. According to the manufacturer's specs, Heating Capacity 1600 - 2400
BTU Range 47,626 - -112,877
. From what I can find, my old Buck Stove is rated around 30,000 BTU. On a day where the temps stay above freezing, it supplies enough heat for the front area of the house. When the temps get around 20-30, the old house starts getting hard to heat. When it is below 20, you almost need to spray gas into the stove to get enough heat. The Buck Stove is at the far end of a 16 x 28 living room and because of the layout of the house, it is hard to get heat to circulate to other rooms. All the ductwork is under the house and insulation gone from it so we are in the process of running new ductwork in area between ceiling of ground level and floor of upstairs. We are unable to use the forced air furnace fan to circulate heat from the room now due to the ductwork being so cold, it actually cools the rooms instead of heating. We currently only build a fire during the day due to being unable to heat bedrooms on other end of house. Would like to burn 24/7 when new ductwork is completed. The electric furnace from the night hours is about to kill my billfold.

I need advice on whether this would be a good selection for a stove. I have never dealt with the new epa's so not sure how much you can vary the heat output. I want to be able to add more wood on colder days but cut back on warmer ones, but don't want to get it so hot we will roast. I do have plans on being done with ductwork in next 2 weeks so I can use that to distribute heat to other areas. The wood I am burning is probably around 20% mc so there shouldn't be a problem in it's quality. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Attachments

• House Layout2.jpg
    House Layout2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 343
Hey BB63,

I don't know, but I suggest you change your thread title (hit "edit" on your original post) to "Please Give me Quick Opinions on Magnolia xxxx" , where xxxx is the model number, and look up magnolia in the stove ratings section.

HTH, and good luck!

Hi Boatboy -

I'm not an expert on stoves (yet) but I did want to make sure you know that to claim the tax credit the stove has to be installed and ready to use before midnight...

(then again, I don't know who's going to come check...) :D

You'll only make as much heat as the wood you put in the firebox. Your looking at a cheap stove that is on sale and a tax credit. If thats all you can afford, than go for it. It will still be a huge upgrade for you over the buck stove. Good luck and get shopping

Thanks guys. Editing done. As you can see from drawing, the room the stove is in isn't laid out the best for air circulation. Basically what I am asking is if I can put this stove in and not be run out of the 450 sq ft room it will be in. I do want to be able to use forced air furnace to circulate heat, but don't want to be ran out of room by too much heat. By the same token, I don't want a stove that is too small and will not be able to heat when it is in the single digits. Just don't have any experience with the new EPA versions and don't know how particular they may be. Thanks.

I can't say much as to the stoves you are considering, but I do know its better to have too much stove than too little. If you find its overheating the stove room, you can play around with fans to distribute the air. Lots of threads on that topic.

Good luck!

I used the reviews on this site for years before I wandered into the forums, so that's where I went back to learn more about this stove. A reviewer who has it--and is happy with it--left an email--you may want to see if that person happens to be checking his email today and can help you with questions. Called it an excellent stove for the money, able to hold a fire, smokes a little. I also noticed that it has a blower on it, which should help w/circulation. Here's that address:

[email protected]

Agree with you, the location isn't ideal, but the money that you save using this to heat with might enable you to put in another stove in a more central location a few years down the road, relocate bedrooms to a warmer location, etc. At that point, you could lighten up on the fires you're building in the Magnolia, and use it to cheer and warm the local area. There are several posters on this forum who happily tend more than one stove in their house, and you have a *lot* of house there, and your drawing suggests that natural circulation isn't that great. In the long run, you may find you'll manage heat better from two locations rather than one.

Detail is good--helps make the question make sense.

If you have sufficient snow in the area, you could try the `poor man's insulation'--bank the snow around the foundation of the house to stop the wind from whistling through. That would be a big house to shovel your way around, but it could make a big difference in comfort. You're very wise to aim for both living within your means and trying to better the situation you're in with the resources you have at hand. Good luck with your decision and implementation. I'll be curious about what route you go with this.

I want to reply to this post not because I can add anything meaningful but I'm going to install a Mag 2015 sometime before spring. I recently visited a stove store that sold several of the popular brands many here have. Personally even though I don't care for made in China stuff, when comparing steel stoves EPA approved it looks about the same to me. Sure there are features on others that the Mag doesn't have but overall, and for the difference in price it just might be your best bang for the buck. I currently heat only with wood but with a pre EPA stove, makes me not to popular here, hehehehe. But I coming around to the idea of the new EPA stove technology. With all that said that stove is tiny, and I mean ity bity tiny. I have real doubts about its ability to heat my space that is about 1000sqft less than yours. Looks like it might do well for a room or 2. But here again how much heat is needed can vary greatly from house to house. There is someone , maybe the one mentioned above, who thinks its doing a good job for them. I'm sure they can give you good advise.

I have been reading up on the stove and everyone who has one seems to be happy. I just don't understand the "smoke and mirrors" routine going on with current stoves. Since the EPA started certifying stoves, it is hard to judge them based on their statistics. According to this stove's owner's manual, it is EPA rated at 30,800 btu but on the manufacturer's website, it is said to be 47,626 -112,877 btu. The owner's manual also states it heats an area of 500 - 1800 sq ft, but their website claims 1600 - 2400. It is also claimed to be eligible for the tax credit and is rated at 65% efficient (owner's manual), but I thought the EPA said minimum eligible efficiency was 75%. Seems that everything is now clear as mud. Reminds me of when the EPA stepped in and made car manufacturers change the way they rated MPG.

EPA efficiency is similar to the early auto EPA figures. If you check you will find that most stoves are rated at 65%. The energy credit based on the stove's overall heating efficiency, which should be over 75%. EPA btu ratings are done with a fixed load of fuel on a 16ft flue. They are not testing for maximum btu output. FWIW, I suspect the Magnolia's max btus are more of a marketing thing than tested reality.

Forget all the ratings. Most likely they are meaningless. In my pee brain mind, any stove can only off as much radiant energy as it has surface to radiate from. Where the new stoves make up for lack of radiant energy is with longer burn times and flatter temp curves. At least thats how I understand it. The Mag is a small stove but maybe it can stay at temp better than older ones pre EPA.

boatboy63 said:
Since the EPA started certifying stoves, it is hard to judge them based on their statistics. . . .Seems that everything is now clear as mud.

I was puzzled by this as well, and found my answer by talking to the folks at the stove store who were familiar with their products in real-world, my-climate applications. Later I went back, said, I'm heating the whole house at these outdoor temps with this wood at these settings, will it still heat the whole house when it's -40F? Stove Guy tilted headto the right, narrowed his eyes, looked off in the distance, ran his little mental computer, and told me yes, it can. If you find someone who has been doing this for years, they know what works in what kind of settings. And he told me I simply can't go by the EPA ratings, they're not accurate. Just consistent.

Let us know what you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.