Please HELP! Looking to Replace Huge Prefab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woods Dweller

Hearth Supporter
Jul 29, 2008
South Jersey Woods
Hi all.
New to this forum, I've been reading some of the posts and I am looking for some opinions on high efficiency fireplaces. I have a huge heatelator Icon 100 (firebox opening is 50" wide, takes 40" logs and produces an awsome open fire!) prefab unit that is only a couple of years old, but I want to replace it with one that will heat. I am considering the Napoleon High Country NZ6000, Extrordinair Elite 44, and the big Lennox / BIS model. I have also looked at the smaller Quadrafire 7100. I have a log home with an open floorplan and loft. Not a huge home, but 22 foot high ceilings in the main living area. I want a heat producer, but I don't want to be burned out 10 feet in front of the fireplace either. Size matters for appearance. I have a pretty big stone surround. I don't think a smaller unit would fill the space and look very good. I like the concept of the posi-pressure as presented by Xtrordinair. Log homes are like a living structure with continual expansion and contraction of the logs, so increasing cabin pressure to seal off drafts sounds good! Wood is not a problem. I live on 25 acres of forest. I welcome any opinions from owners or tech people. Thanks!

Welcome WD. That sounds like a real wood eater. How large is the home?

Thanks. A lttle under 2000 sf.

You'd do fine with a smaller unit then. Small is a relative term, these are serious heaters. Maybe also look at the RSF line?

I'm looking at the bigger units because my opening is big and a small unit wouldn't look so attractive, I would like a good size firebox to load up for longer burn times, and my ceilings are 22 feet high. Although my house is 2000 sq. feet, doesn't the cathedral ceiling increase the haeting area?

Yes it does, as does your lack of insulation and air leakage through the walls. But going for a big stove just to fill the fireplace is not the best route. Pick a stove that will provide the heat you need. Block off plates can be made to fill in the area between your stove and the fireplace.

Personally I am a fan of the Morso stoves:
http://www.morsoe.com/NR/rdonlyres/12DC195F-83C8-42F2-8272-7F2B660EC01A/0/5660inserttop.jpg
http://www.morsoe.com/NR/rdonlyres/A59299FE-AC6D-45DB-994B-453CD42A28B7/0/1710.jpg

can you shoot us a picture so we know what we are looking at?

have you thought of a larger soapstone unit as a hearth setup instead of an insert? with soapstone you get a more subtle even heat though they take time to get there , its a trade off , but the advantage is even heat , you wont be so much blasted outta the lazyboy next to the unit and still will benefit from the overall heat. may work well in your situation. bear in mind though ,its a guess because i cant see the fireplace to know if its feasible.

Whatever you decide to do about a woodburner, it sounds to me like your setup is just crying out for a big ceiling fan. Rick

My 30" high by 40" wide masonry fireplace was nicely filled with the Quadrafire 4100-I, and I used the standard, not large panel, just covered the opening. My point is the Quad 5100-I is bigger than what I have and the 7100 fireplace is even bigger, so I'm sure it could make use of your available space.

and Hi: Rick, haven't seen you around these parts for a couple of weeks, been on vacation?

Thanks the replys. I do have a ceiling fan up there to push the heat back down.
backPack your right about the leaks in a log home, but the insulation factor isn't really applicable. Once the solid wood logs get either warm or cool, thier high thermal mass properties holds and radiates a constant temp.
I thought about a heath stove setuo but have gotten conflicting recomendations from vendors. Some say no way. Not even an insert. Others say yes way. We can put a big insert in your unit. I don't want to spend a few $K and then later wish I had spent a few more to get what I really want, though I'm not sure what I realy want! I'm looking at this install as a functional heat producer (unlimitted wood on my property) as well as attractive furniture. It may only burn a few months a year but I'll look at it all year!

Here are some pics. The witdh of the fire box from inside trim to inside trim is 50 inches.

Attachments

• Please HELP!  Looking to Replace Huge Prefab
    hearth1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 299
    chase1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 283
    pipe1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 278
    back1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 275
This is the back of my pfrefabe with the chase open. Siding is hinged for access.

Attachments

back1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 279
That can really take a 40" log? Looks smaller than I imagined after seeing the picture. Can you provide the actual dimensions of the outer surround and the inner firebox?

I don't have the exact chase demensions, but one of the vendors that came by to check out my setup said that it was built VERY big. He originaly doubted that it would take the Napoleon High Country NZ6000, but when he saw it, told me that it would with plenty of space to spare. Estimate about 8 feet wide (2 sheets T-111) X 4 feet deep. The fireplace is a Heatalator Icon 100. Inside of firebox is 50 inches wide. I routinely burn logs that take up practicly the whole width.

hmmm.... I have no experience with prefabs.. but will you have the clearances necessary for an insert? You may also need to upgrade your chimney too.

Looks too..... good to scrap to me. What about a real high quality set of glass doors that are near airtight? From the back picture it looks like you have outside air feed to the chamber, so the doors don't need to provide for air input, right?

Everything looks so new. Do you have any efficiency numbers for the prefab? If it is 60% or something it would take a very long time to pay back a sizable investment on a new airtight with an efficiency of less than 80%.

From the pictures, I like what you have, I'd keep it.

It seems like you have a bit of a paradox. You want something that looks monstrous, but won't drive you out of house and home. That's a bit like asking for a Humvee that gets 50mpg. Rather than thinking of the biggest ZC to fill that gaping hole, perhaps consider getting a smaller unit, but with a large custom surround that frames the new unit nicely. It could be arched and out of stone. If done well this would be the focal point of the room.

Attachments

181801.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 241
Status
Not open for further replies.