Please help! Oslo Class A chimney question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwfrazier

Oct 5, 2008
Jefferson, GA
Thanks so much for your help. I have decided to go another route for my Jotul Oslo install. I have a chimney liner that I had purchased last year, so I installed that, with insulation, into a prefab fireplace and inside the existing 1700 degree chimney pipe.

I think I need the following parts to finish my install:

1 Duravent 6" DVL adaptor/damper section 6" by 4" long 8679
2 Duravent 6" DVL Double Wall chimney adapt 8674
1 Duravant 6" x 9" Class A Black chimney pipe 9408B
1 Duravent 6" Class A Galv. Tee 9467GA

I will be coming out of the rear of my stove, into the adaptor / damper; then adapt to the black class A chimney pipe; then into the Tee; then out of the top of the Tee and adapt to the liner. Are these the parts I need?

Specifically, from the adaptor / damper and into the female end of the chimney pipe, is 8674 the correct adaptor?

And, out of the top of the male end of the Tee and into the liner is 8674 the correct part?

I need the 2" close clearance the Chimney tee and chimney pipe provide.

I really appreciate anyone's advice.

John Frazier

PIC ADDED

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/3973829498_67b11133d3_o.jpg

What is the issue with 2" clearances going into a prefab fireplace? This seems an odd cobbling of fittings. It would seem from top down the order of parts would be the liner, the liner tee, the connector, the stove. A picture and/or a sketch might be worth a hundred words here.

In the pic here you can see the new hearth with the prefab fireplace. Also note the new liner coming down. Because the stove is too high, I will need to cut through the sheet metal at the top of the fireplace, and into the upper beige tile about two inches in order to get to a Tee inside the fireplace. This will only leave me about 4-6" from the wood framing/ sheetrock/trim, above the upper tile.

This is taking into account the short leg kit which I will get.

The class A Tee may be unnecessary since it will be inside the fireplace, but I would sure like to have a class a chimney pipe where it passes through the sheet metal and tile wall. On the inside of the fireplace there is plenty of room for the tee before it hits the top of the prefab.

Make sense?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/3973829498_67b11133d3_o.jpg

OK, so why the class A? Looks like the bigger concern is going to be the distance of the stove to the woodwork, not the pipe if it's DVL.

The stove can sit further into the room to solve the stove clearance issue. the DVL pipe will need to be 6" from combustables. Maybe I am being paranoid. Don't want to worry about fire.

If so, it looks like you should be ok with a rear heatshield and the DVL connector pipe clearances, no? Just be sure it is pitched uphill towards the tee from the stove.

It will be very close to 6". I will just have to see when I cut it out. I guess I thought that the Class A passthru might just give me an extra margin of safety.

If I do use class A , I'm just not sure how to adapt from the DVL damper coming out of the stove to the to the class A female end of the chimney pipe passthru.

I sure do appreciate you taking your time to help me figure this out.

John

Cutting into the top of those prefab fireplaces when installing a wood insert / stove is a big no no. I highly advise you NOT do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.