Please Help with New Stove Selection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BlackbirdVT

Jan 6, 2021
Hello all, brand new member here, looking for advice on potentially getting a new stove.

I live in Vermont, my house is ~1800 square feet (doesn't include basement footage) total in a two story house. The first floor is kind of open. I have my current stove a Vermont Castings Defiant model 1945 (cat stove) in the basement and it heats the basement and the upper two stories just fine. The problem I have (and I assume everyone is going to say it is user error) is that I heat the stove too high and tend to warp parts. Easy fix right, just don't fire it as hot. I use a thermometer on the top exiting pipe about 12" from the top of the stove. I try to heat it up to ~600 degrees F before closing the damper, if I don't it seems to burn cooler than I assume is good @ ~350 degrees. I usually try to burn @ 400-450 degrees. My chimney has been spotless, I haven't had to clean it once while using this stove and it has been 10 years or so (I bought it used). I like the stove but just don't like to replace parts yearly. It has an 8" top exit and goes into a cinder block and brick chimney. I am in the process of replacing a few parts now due to warpage and I am going to do my best to heat it up to ~500 degrees before I close the damper and maybe that is the solution to my problem. Vermont Castings is also going to stop making parts for my stove so if I continue to have problems it will be harder to get parts. I burn wood exclusively to heat my entire home so in the winter it burns frequently, I would guess 4 to 5 cords per year.

But, if not and I continue to have problems I would like to get a lower maintenance stove, I have been told that steel stoves take heat better. What would you recommend for stoves to look at that would be a good solution for a chronic "over-heater"? I would like it to be decently efficient, the aesthetics don't concern me as it will be in the basement, quality & price would also be a concern. I am also on the frugal side so ideally I could find something nice used but if that is a bad idea I would consider new as well. Please let me know what you think, I want to make the best decision possible. Thank you for your time!