Please help with wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking that too, the wood looks very much like a fruitwood of some sort and its very pretty. Hawthorn and wild plum has viscous thorns too. The bark doesnt say plum.
Ive just never seen Hawthorn that big. They are just bushes here. The photo of the other half of the split tree is pretty wild.
I bet it will be great firewood. Does it have a fruity smell?

That is a Hawthorn...probably Haw. They get to be decent size in Minnesota often along fence lines. I've been poked by plenty!

82054b3fb36524ca713b5911bade4c3b.jpg
8672f26f7040dc131f0072bed458c7d9.jpg

You make roads and then tunnel off the roads. Pickup truck , tractor, skidder...horse...anything. Tie a rope around the oak and drag it out of the tangled mess.
That stuff makes me punchy. Tripping hazard, chainsaw gets caught on weed stems, you lose crap.
I can see how the forestry people come up with the idea of controlled burns. Or where the forest ecosystem benefits from fires.
Dont know about the little tree, honeylocusts have those weird dangly long seed pods. Don't know how long they stick around. Animals like them.
But they do have those thorns too.
The wood has a salmon color and coarse grain. Id have to go back and look at your first pics but I thought I remembered the wood looked very fine grained.
Cut it all up. I camp out in areas like that and clean the area up. I dont know about that underbrush, its tough to work in.
Maybe a burn barrel? Bonfire?
I make trails in my woodlot, the main network were here, some added. I used to drive horses cross country so they are horse carriage trails. Horse carriage, quad trails, snowmobile, cross country ski trails. Or just a walking path. The open path never goes to waste.
Have fun.
If you have money, rent a mini excavator with a thumb and landscape blade. It will be the most fun you will ever have with your pants on. !!!

The interior wood and the thorns say Honey Locust. Bark, not sure.

Hawthorn with an ash on top of it two posts up....not an oak.

That is a Hawthorn...probably Haw. They get to be decent size in Minnesota often along fence lines. I've been poked by plenty!
Ok... so when you got poked, does it almost feel like its got something in it? Like sortta a mild bee sting? Swelling? Got me on the inside of my index finger knuckle. And cant bend my finger all the way. Had tons before like in the arm but never at a joint. Its amazing how wet it is inside, maybe its because im so use to dead ash and oak but man this thing could be squeezed and a gallon would come out. Think i may leave it for now there are like 3 big oaks that are callin my name....
Hawthorn with an ash on top of it two posts up....not an oak.

Ok... so when you got poked, does it almost feel like its got something in it? Like sortta a mild bee sting? Swelling? Got me on the inside of my index finger knuckle. And cant bend my finger all the way. Had tons before like in the arm but never at a joint. Its amazing how wet it is inside, maybe its because im so use to dead ash and oak but man this thing could be squeezed and a gallon would come out. Think i may leave it for now there are like 3 big oaks that are callin my name....
Yes tis a ash... i dont know why i said oak. Are you sure on the other?,

I don't think the thorns have toxins or anything. More likely you've got an infection from the puncture. Puncture wounds often cause infections because they are hard to clean & often don't bleed much to wash bacteria back out.
I'm not a doctor ;ex

Yes Hawthorne is often soft on the inside and moist. I often find black ants in there as well.

Hawthorn would be equivalent to Box Elder. If it is there, I take it...but it is not worth going out of your way for. It is generally small, low btu's, and has thorns!

Around here hawthorn never seems to get very big . . . mean thorny tree.

Cool, thanks guys, so much ash and oak. im thinking i will let mother nature have it. Just thought it was something more rare to my area . For sure the biggest ive ever seen. Most of those are small around here. If i had a dime for every thorn i have cought over the last 5 years..... man..... they suck! Thanks again to everyone who helped, this really is a great forum.

Cool, thanks guys, so much ash and oak. im thinking i will let mother nature have it. Just thought it was something more rare to my area . For sure the biggest ive ever seen. Most of those are small around here. If i had a dime for every thorn i have cought over the last 5 years..... man..... they suck! Thanks again to everyone who helped, this really is a great forum.

What makes it such a great forum is the people . . .

Hawthorn would be equivalent to Box Elder. If it is there, I take it...but it is not worth going out of your way for. It is generally small, low btu's, and has thorns!

This doesn't sound right to me based on my experiences with Hawthorn on our family farm. Maybe there are different kinds.
In my experience it's very dense wood & burns long & slow kinda like Hophornbeam. We never burned any that was big enough to need splitting, but I bet it'd be a nightmare to try splitting by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.