please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hounddog

Dec 27, 2007
minnesota
i need some help in deciding what stove to get , i want a mid sized stove, where i need help is what brand do i get , i go back and forth , from drolet, to century to vogelzang, etc, where do i start? what is the best mid priced stove?

Do you want mid-sized or mid-priced? What size are you looking for? 2 cu ft?

All of these stoves are on the low end of the pricing scale. To start with I would look at construction and go with a simple, heavy steel stove. For example, VG stove uses a lighter gauge metal than the Drolet I believe.

FWIW, if you can wait a month or two, these stoves will be on sale at better prices.

I haven't actually had a chance to get mine fired up, but I've been on here long enough to know that many of the folks on here are very happy with their Englander stoves, and the customer service at Englander seems to be stellar.

I've seen comments that the Drolet stoves are built like tanks, which leads me to believe that they are will made, but I can't confirm that.

Some of the folks here will probably chime in and steer you away from the Vogelzang stoves. I don't have personal experience there either, so I'll let them get into that.

I would certainly add Englander to your list though.

-SF

i seen that the vg does only have 3/16" metal, im gonna go away with them , i did notice also that alot of people have the englander 30NC wich i think i can get at home depot, and the drolet i can get at fleet farm i just dont want to get a lemon, i am just looking for a mid sized one 40-60,000 btu . i appreciate all the input,,, thank you.

IMHO: Have you check out your local stove retailer? They can be an excellent resource for sizing and location of your new stove and hand holding after the purchase. Unlike the big box stoves your local retailers can offer additional and needed services. Of course we are here too :)

You are going to find that most of the mid to medium priced stoves these days have 3/16" stove bodies. The guy that commented on the Drolet being built like a tank was talking about a stove from back in the 80's. Back then pretty much all stoves were made from 1/4" and thicker steel. Not any more. An example being my Englander 30-NC. 3/16" body and 1/4" top. One exception being the PE higher end units that still uses 1/4 and 3/8" steel.

I'm not sure of the gauge, but Drolet still makes several EPA stoves with a heavy steel top. The Adirondack is one that comes to mind.

I'd include the PE stoves if you want steel. They are a bit more up front, but might learn to love them.
You have to keep in mind where you are going to install it too. If its in a place where it just heats and no one looks, then the most efficient thing.
If its in the house where people will look at it, then you want something efficient and pretty.
What I'd recommend is to identify all the stoves you think you might like, looks, etc. Regardless of cost, just go out and look at them, that will be fun.
After that, you will know what you want, can afford and what you're going to get anyway.

BeGreen said:
I'm not sure of the gauge, but Drolet still makes several EPA stoves with a heavy steel top. The Adirondack is one that comes to mind.

Vogelzang and CFM call 3/16" heavy steel plate in their ads.

I think Home Depot lists them at $1,100 or so in the late fall, though they're cheaper now. I've heard of folks getting them new for $700 or $800 if they look for deals. I got ours for $500 lightly used with the blower.

BrotherBart said:
BeGreen said:

Vogelzang and CFM call 3/16" heavy steel plate in their ads.

The Drolet Classic EPA has 1/4" steel top. The Adirondack's top was thicker from what I remember. I suspect 5/16" It's been a while since I've seen one, I'll see if I can dig up the spec, though prolly so, the Savannah, has a 5/16" top too and it's only $699. Drolet is still making stout stoves.

www.englanderstoves.com
www.overstockstoves.com

If you want 2 b warm & save $ , englander or www.summersheatstoves.com sold at www.lowes.com (summersheat is an englander)

If you want pretty, you pay for pretty.
www.drolet.ca -----drolet is a good stove but a little more expensive & no dealers in us except
www.northerntools.com so what you going to do for service?

I decided on englander 50-30ncp for myself, but I have to burn up my wood pile before I can get the stove into the basement. Wood pile is right in the way, by the door.

i have a store close by that sells drolet, its called fleet farm, i dont know about service, i suspect if you buy from any big chain store , service will be limited right? the droet's there are reasonable,

We have a local dealer that sell's Drolet, I just chose to buy mine from Northern Tool because they were about $500 cheaper. I have the Mirad model at my camp and it is very heavy and well built, and works great. They were selling them earlier this year for $739 and it came with a blower, I think shipping was around $150 if I remember right. The only mistake I made was not buying 2, and putting the other one in my house instead of the finicky Harmon I bought for $1000 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.