poor mans wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Vomit

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2011
eastern PA
my poor mans wood shed seems to be holding up in this rain... for now. I'm thinking of gathering 2 of every animal and building an ark soon.

Attachments

• 2011-09-08 002 (800x600).jpg
    2011-09-08 002 (800x600).jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 1,074
  • 2011-09-08 001 (800x600).jpg
    2011-09-08 001 (800x600).jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,046
I like it :)
Good air circulation. Looks good.
Looks like it's out of the wind.
Hope you're on high ground.

May want to leave the beavers off the list too :lol:
Good luck.

bogydave said:
May want to leave the beavers off the list too :lol:

And Woodchucks. I hear that they will chuck your wood.

Hope you don't get any wet heavy snow in eastern PA. Don't think the roof will hold the weight.

Those just heavy duty tarps on 4x4 post in the ground? That could work very well here since we very rarely get any snow. and if it doesnt its not a huge investment.

I like it

Don't make the same mistake Noah did...the Ark had already put to sea when someone on board discovered that both the Aards were male and both the Varks were female. (unapologetically purloined from one of my favorite Bizarro cartoons). Rick

gzecc said:
Hope you don't get any wet heavy snow in eastern PA. Don't think the roof will hold the weight.

I dont think so either. My "roof" is pretty cheap.

Remmy122 said:
Those just heavy duty tarps on 4x4 post in the ground? That could work very well here since we very rarely get any snow. and if it doesnt its not a huge investment.

I like it

you got it... it's cheap and easy. I upgraded this year. I pulled out the posts in the spring (soft ground) and poured a bag of quickcrete in each hole. Posts are much sturdier this year.

Not bad blue....not bad it all,,,,,looks like its doing the job..

Blue Vomit said:
my poor mans wood shed seems to be holding up in this rain... for now. I'm thinking of gathering 2 of every animal and building an ark soon.

How long is a cubit?

Thats OK son someday you will be able to afford one like mine

Attachments

• SDC10080.jpg
    SDC10080.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 787
This is older than a lot of members here I'm thinkin'. Was gonna knock it down & build a new one last year,time & everything else got away from me as usual.Should still do the job for another year or so I'm hoping.Various storms over the years took its toll,massive hickory limb about 40 ft over the center of it came down in late '90's,hence the sag.

Attachments

• finally its completely full after 8.5 months.jpg
    finally its completely full after 8.5 months.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 780
Loco Gringo said:
Whats the sign say thistle?

Private Property NO Trespassing (And NO Stealing) handwritten in below :lol:

Thistle said:
This is older than a lot of members here I'm thinkin'. Was gonna knock it down & build a new one last year,time & everything else got away from me as usual.Should still do the job for another year or so I'm hoping.Various storms over the years took its toll,massive hickory limb about 40 ft over the center of it came down in late '90's,hence the sag.

I like it, the sag gives it character.

Blue Vomit said:
cptoneleg said:
Thats OK son someday you will be able to afford one like mine

thats not fair... I said wood shed, not hunting cabin!

OK in the future I will try to get things right, I just saw a good excuse to show off the shed. :zip:

Here is my "Bayou Shack" as my wife calls it.

Shawn

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 342
Shawneyboy..I like it...any more pics of it?.. deminsions?.. how did u tie the pallets together?. I been flirting on doing a pallet shed

It is made of pallet wood but, the posts are 6 inch saplings, one at each corner, and 2 for the doorway. The cross members and diagnol pieces are PT free wood mostly landscape timers. It isn't a "pallet shed" per say but it is made from pallets. The entire thing is from recycled wood save the roof and the roof supports, I bought some PT 2x4s for that, they are 16 oc and I also bought the metal roofing material. All total I think it cost me out of pocket less than one Benjie. Well worth it, no need to fight with tarps in the winter.

As far as demensions, the posts are 10x10 at the corners, with the pallet wood slats inside and out, with overlap to prevent sideways blown wind from hitting the wood itself (except at the opening) but allowing for air circulation. The height is 9'6" in the front and about 7'6" in the rear.

I could paint it, but being I live in the woods, I think the natural look blends with the trees.

I only use it to store that which I am going to burn in the upcoming season. I season my wood at the rear of my property, this is much closer to the house than my seasoning stacks.

If it were empty I would take some more pics for ya, but I think you get the idea.

Shawn

Thanks...man that shed would look good with some old rusty advertisement signs and a few old liscens plates

Status
Not open for further replies.