possible new Woodstock Fireview for next heating season.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennis, I think I am going to look at raising the hearth to at least 12 inches for the many reasons you have listed as well as my experience with that height is better. This will give me less pipe however to be warmed in the 9 foot high ceiling. I guess there still will be plenty for good draft. Please reassure me that the double wall pipe going in the house[for clearances] and the class a 2100 temp pipe going through attic and roof with just the standard 2inch air space around it is VERY safe. This is my biggest concern. Again the sweep I mention to you is very kosker-i'm not worried about that, just saying.
Hopefully the stove doesen't drive us out of the room too often with heat as I have decribed the dimentions.
We may be putting a deposit on this stove within a day or two to begin the building process. Again thanks all for the help.
Have been looking at this stove for awhile.

Double wall pipe and class A chimney are plenty safe. They have been tested pretty vigorously since the companies that make them don't want to be sued for burning someones house down. The outside of that class A will be cool enough to lay your hand on it without being burned, the double wall pipe will be a little warmer because it lacks the insulation of the class A. Sounds like you should have a safe and great looking setup.

sappy said:
Dennis, I think I am going to look at raising the hearth to at least 12 inches for the many reasons you have listed as well as my experience with that height is better. This will give me less pipe however to be warmed in the 9 foot high ceiling. I guess there still will be plenty for good draft. Please reassure me that the double wall pipe going in the house[for clearances] and the class a 2100 temp pipe going through attic and roof with just the standard 2inch air space around it is VERY safe. This is my biggest concern. Again the sweep I mention to you is very kosker-i'm not worried about that, just saying.
Hopefully the stove doesen't drive us out of the room too often with heat as I have decribed the dimentions.
We may be putting a deposit on this stove within a day or two to begin the building process. Again thanks all for the help.
Have been looking at this stove for awhile.

Todd nailed it on the pipe. There should be no worries there. Cutting off that foot is something you'll never notice as far as draft. Ours is 4" higher than what you have planned. For sure Mike knows what he is doing on the install.

Will it drive you out of the room? I doubt it. However, there are times when it gets a bit hot in here. This morning is one of those times. The outdoor temperature is 37 and it is snowing. I must have put one too many splits in there when I got up. So, we have a really small Vornado fan (the one we use in the hallway if we need the back rooms warmer) that I sat not far from the hallway and turned it on high blowing directly at me. Now I'm not sweating at least. But again, this is the big key to warming the whole house. Set up a small table fan blowing the cool air into the warm air rather than trying to move the warm air by attempting to blow it towards the cool air. Sounds backwards, but it works. In spring and fall we also sometimes open the door and just leave the storm door closed. It helps a bit, but usually we just don't have a problem with getting too hot or too cool.

Well just had the Harmon p61 pellet stove taken out for good. This is the first step in replacing it with the woodstock soapstone fireview. We are going to be building our hearth over the next 2 to 3 weeks. Next week I go and pick out the fireview my wife and I will want, color-wise. Then hopefully have Michael in to do the pipe and stove install. Wish me luck. Kind of bidder sweet with the pellet. I had the stove since December 2000. I hope we are able to operate this one well. Kinda of nice that while moving 3 cords of sugaring wood with brother in law and nephew that I was able to set some small amounts away of the maple wood for the next years season. There is some cherry and more maple on the landowners site that I will ask if I can bring over. Those wont make it to the sugar housr however, but the regular home, lol. Another good reason to switch back to wood.

Have a good time when you visit the factory. They should have lots to choose from and make sure you also ask to see the Frankenstove.

Thanks Dennis. They have just a couple to choose from as of today but will have many more next week. Will keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.